Rooster or Chicken???

SoCha

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2016
Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Ok so im really scared right now we wanted and tried to make sure its a rooster when we bought her/him now on another post someone said that it might be a rooster anyone else's opinion? So she/he is 2 moths old about, lately she started to cluck wierdly and usually she/he is trying to make a fight between themselves. So thats pretty much it but are there any signs we should look for?
D.gif

Early comb and wattle development, pointy hackle and saddle feathers, shiny/bright wing coverlets, crowing are all signs of being a cockerel - it is a bit early for the secondary sex feathering to be showing. Both pullets and cockerels play/fight.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm a little confused by your post. You're wondering if one or more chickens you have is male? You want or don't want a male? (You started out by saying, "We wanted and tried to make sure it was a rooster when we bought him") Do you have a picture of the bird(s) in question? That would be very helpful. Posting a picture in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" section of the forum would get you some definite answers.

I really don't know how to make my own post or whatever,but I was wondering about the same thing about my chickens.I want to know if their rooster or hen,and also what kind of chickens they are.
Also wondering why does my brown chicken make duck noises,it never did before till this month.

I really don't know how to make my own post or whatever,but I was wondering about the same thing about my chickens.I want to know if their rooster or hen,and also what kind of chickens they are.Also wondering why does my brown chicken make duck noises,it never did before till this month.
What are the ages of these birds? Looks like the barred one is a cockerel (male chicken under one year of age) and the brown one probably pullet (female under one year of age). As Sourland said, they're all chickens. I believe your cockerel is a Barred Rock. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Still learning all the nuances that determine breed myself.

Roosters, hens, cockerels, pullets are all chickens.
hu.gif
I was thinking the same thing.
tongue.png

What are the ages of these birds? Looks like the barred one is a cockerel (male chicken under one year of age) and the brown one probably pullet (female under one year of age). As Sourland said, they're all chickens. I believe your cockerel is a Barred Rock. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Still learning all the nuances that determine breed myself.
The bird has a single copy of the barring gene, it's either a female Barred Rock over 14 weeks old or a Black Sexlink cockerel under 12 weeks old.

I was thinking the same thing.
tongue.png

The bird has a single copy of the barring gene, it's either a female Barred Rock over 14 weeks old or a Black Sexlink cockerel under 12 weeks old.
Junebuggena, I will forever leave the determining of breed up to you.
bow.gif
I'm not even sure what you're talking about with the "single copy of the barring gene". What is that and how can you tell?

Just look up some pictures of Barred Rock roosters and hens. Males get a barring gene from each parent, giving them twice as much white and thus, having a lighter appearance. Females only get one barring gene, and it can only come from the father. The single copy is what makes hens look darker.
-the same rules do not apply for mixed breed (sexlinked) birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom