Rooster or hen...help

Relatively new to chickens but got 6 barred rock roos this year.. how can you tell the difference between a black sex link and a pure barred rock. Probably sounds like a silly question but want to learn
smile.png

well the barring on a BR is not scattered and uneven like a BSL an a BSL hen has a totally different pattern the BR has a even barring pattern and also BLS can be sexed by color shortly afrter hatching

BSLs have a silver tint in there barring

As chicks, black sex link males and pure barred Rock females are virtually identical. So, don't feel bad, it's something that can easily happen.

Since you got all males, I'm thinking you got taken advantage of. That's just too many for the odds to be that out of favor. And since they're all mixed breeds, probably sex links, I'm pretty sure the seller knew they were all male.

It does take a practiced eye to see the difference in pattern in the adult birds. As stated above, the pure barred Rock hens are usually a crisper, cleaner pattern of black and white. The black sex link males have a messier, uneven pattern often with gold or silver coming through on the wings, hackle or saddle feathers.

Plus, you have the regular male vs female signs---larger, redder comb, thick legs, taller, leggier build.

As chicks, black sex link males and pure barred Rock females are virtually identical. So, don't feel bad, it's something that can easily happen.

Since you got all males, I'm thinking you got taken advantage of. That's just too many for the odds to be that out of favor. And since they're all mixed breeds, probably sex links, I'm pretty sure the seller knew they were all male.

It does take a practiced eye to see the difference in pattern in the adult birds. As stated above, the pure barred Rock hens are usually a crisper, cleaner pattern of black and white. The black sex link males have a messier, uneven pattern often with gold or silver coming through on the wings, hackle or saddle feathers.

Plus, you have the regular male vs female signs---larger, redder comb, thick legs, taller, leggier build.

well take her advise hers is more sufisticated (how ever you spell it)

Back
Top Bottom