Rooster or Hen?

jencrom

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 10, 2014
I have suspected for a while that I may have a rooster on my hands (and where I live doesn't allow them, only hens). I picked up a blue andalusian when it was a few days old. It is now about 8 months. I am not familiar with this breed so I wasn't sure of appearance, crowing, etc... "He" has never crowed and is definitely lowest on the totem pole. Also, if they do in fact lay white eggs, "she" is not laying....

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but need some confirmation from the experts on this breed. Rooster or Hen?

Last edited:
At 8 months old with that comb, I would bet that it is a pullet, and you're getting a brown egg from her. I've not owned andalusions personally but have researched them as a I'd like to in the future. In any case, by 8 months old your gal would have long pointy saddle (on back, before tail) & hackle (around neck, like a mane) feathers by now. Quite sure she's a she, and either isn't laying the color egg you'd expected or is hiding them, a pullet with a comb that large is laying, undoubtedly.

I have suspected for a while that I may have a rooster on my hands (and where I live doesn't allow them, only hens). I picked up a blue andalusian when it was a few days old. It is now about 8 months. I am not familiar with this breed so I wasn't sure of appearance, crowing, etc... "He" has never crowed and is definitely lowest on the totem pole. Also, if they do in fact lay white eggs, "she" is not laying....

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but need some confirmation from the experts on this breed. Rooster or Hen?
Hen. I know that my chickens are a different breed and variety but with most chicken breeds you can sex them based on feathers. Here's a picture of a Black Australorp pullet and cockerel. Are you certain that's a Blue Andalusian? It doesn't look like a Blue Andalusian when looking up Blue Andalusian on google image. Makes me think more of a Austra White.

Here's one of my girls. The neck, saddle, and tail covert feathers are rounded tips.
Here's my rooster. Roosters will have sickle feathers that are long and curl, and the neck, and saddle feathers will be long, narrow, and pointy.

Last edited:
She is most likely a Splash colored Andalusian.

• Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
  • Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
  • Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
  • Black X Black = 100% Black
  • Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
  • Splash X Black = 100% Blue

Thanks! That's the conclusion I came to as well. Just wish I could figure out why she isn't laying.
sad.png

She may be laying somewhere that you can't find the eggs. My friends found a nest full of eggs from hens that they didn't think were laying.

Back
Top Bottom