Rooster or Hen?

Okay, I thought so about the first two because of crowing, I wasn't sure about the last one. That's a real bummer, that's my daughter's favorite! :(
:( If you look at his lower back, you'll see a patch of shiny, skinny feathers that drape down near the wingtips. That's a rooster saddle -- you'll never see one on a pullet. These feathers come in as males reach sexual maturity. If you look at the others I called obvious cockerels, you'll see that they have the same thing.

His coloring is also a dead giveaway but that's a more subtle clue.

:( If you look at his lower back, you'll see a patch of shiny, skinny feathers that drape down near the wingtips. That's a rooster saddle -- you'll never see one on a pullet. These feathers come in as males reach sexual maturity. If you look at the others I called obvious cockerels, you'll see that they have the same thing.

Okay, yes, thank you for explaining that!

Tell me more about his coloring being a giveaway?

Back
Top Bottom