Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kchinks, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Kchinks

Kchinks New Egg

Sep 19, 2014
    Hi all

I'm pretty new to the whole backyard chook thing so this may seem like a really silly question but here goes

I got three 12 week old chicks about 3 months back, one is definitely a hen as I've seen her laying, the other two have been arousing my suspicions lately as to wether they are actually indeed girls, especially since the welsummer just had a weird little crow, which has prompted me to take a closer look at the pair of them. I have 9 birds in total and the two in question hang out together all the time and have little scraps sometimes but never anything serious, the Welsummer is picked on quite badly by the older hens also. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would really appreciate if you could take a look at the pics of "Heide" and "Princess Layer" and give me some opinions.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Don't know who is who but, the red one is a rooster and so is the frizzle.

3. Kchinks

Kchinks New Egg

Sep 19, 2014
    Bugger, I thought as much, thanks for confirming my suspicions, looks like a name change and a new home is in order for these two:)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I agree with drumstick diva. Heide and Princess Layer should be re-named Hans and Prince Lando. Sorry. :eek:( I hope you are able to either re-home them or get a lot more hens to go with them. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters can be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck.

5. Kchinks

Kchinks New Egg

Sep 19, 2014
    Thanks for the advice, I'll rehome one of them, just don't know which one should go.....they are both lovely birds with heaps of personality. The hens aren't harassed by either of them at present but I guess they are still young? They tend to just hang out off to the side together and is extremely rare to see any of the flock having disagreements, if anything the hens bully them. I guess the frizzle will have to go because I read somewhere that if two frizzles breed the offspring can have problematic plumage? Any thoughts?

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I always advise keeping the rooster with the best temperament as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock, however if the temperament is equally good on the two roosters, I would personally keep the Welsummer rooster for the egg laying advantages it will bring to your offspring.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

X2 on Michael O'Shay. I would pick the rooster with the best temperament.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with your roosters and welcome to our flock!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by