Rooster over-mating hens

I am in the same boat. My roo is about 13 months old and I have 15 hens. I swear he's doing it every 3 minutes. That's ALL he does. I have several hens with bare backs and balding on the head. He's stressing out my polish mix so badly that now she is terrified of any little move you make. She was bad before but it's so much worse now. I love my roo, he's friendly and beautiful. I wish I could castrate him.

OMG I know this is an old thread, but that is hilarious! I'm also in the same boat and I think I have to remove my aggressive Roo

Im having the same problem. My hens look dreadful. Breaking my heart. I ended up with 2 roosters and 4 chickens. After seperating and locking up the one rooster w 2 hens and Scotch with his 2 hens it was fine for a cpl months but i chose to rehome the nasty one. But now my 4 girls and rooster always free range but i dont know if i should lick up Scotch do their poor backs can heal ,maybe put some bag balm on their backs. Ive managed to have my chickens for a whole year now . We survived our first winter and they r loving being back to free range . My rooster cops an attitude and id hate for him to really turn on me if i lock him up away from his girls but its also consuming with worry when i see my girls bald backs. What to do ? What to do ? I love all my chickens but after learning they can live up to 15 yrs ,Im not too interested in getting anymore. Consumed with worry all the time so getting more would bring even more worry.

I love my rooster and I don't want to get rid of him, but he's over mating the hens. He's too rough and I have 3 hens with either bare or getting there backs, and one going bald. I've bought saddles but putting them has created massive chaos and they don't help the balding hens (in fact we took the saddle off the one hen we got it on because she reacted so terribly). Is there anything I can do? I don't want to get rid of him, but will if I have to. (I'm about to post a for sale thread for him, but I thought I might explore other options I may have not tried first.)
i have a brahma rooster he goes about 13 pounds i do a seperation for about 2 0r so weeks maybe a month let him free range without the hens giving them a break sure helps them and the roo too

Im having the same issue but I’m done messing with my abusive rooster. He’s very aggressive at me, So he’s up on the butchering block tomorrow.
I love my rooster and I don't want to get rid of him, but he's over mating the hens. He's too rough and I have 3 hens with either bare or getting there backs, and one going bald. I've bought saddles but putting them has created massive chaos and they don't help the balding hens (in fact we took the saddle off the one hen we got it on because she reacted so terribly). Is there anything I can do? I don't want to get rid of him, but will if I have to. (I'm about to post a for sale thread for him, but I thought I might explore other options I may have not tried first.)

Back
Top Bottom