Rooster overeating hens

Matilda Belle

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
what do you do with a rooster that overmates the hens, and when you put him with the roosters he overmates them too? I don’t know what to do with him. All he wants to do is make babies.

I planned on parting with all my roosters in the beginning. But I’ve grown so attached to them and I don’t have the heart to give them to another person to make stew out of them. It seems unfair.

You must give them a great quality of life and that includes culling when needed or giving a bird away. It’s a fact of life in chicken keeping no matter how hard or unfair it seems.

what do you do with a rooster that overmates the hens, and when you put him with the roosters he overmates them too? I don’t know what to do with him. All he wants to do is make babies.
If he overmates... he doesn't get access to the hens.

Some males never learn how to be nice.

I totally agree more room is better. I do let them free range when the weather is nice and I can supervise them. I don’t want any predators to kill them.

They do seem content. Rarely do I see issues between them up until this recent problem.
I’m not sure how old they are but as they mature you’ll see more issues. Having the hens so close within sight and hearing of the roosters will make it worse too.

Back
Top Bottom