Rooster overmating specific hens. What to do?

FattySmough

Songster
May 2, 2021
South Kansas
Hey y'all

My year old rooster Sandy has been overmating some of my hens pretty severely. It started a few months ago and wasn't bad at first, but now I have 3 hens with bare backs, and 1 with completely bare back and sides. It's not uncommon that when he wants to mate he will chase down his target until they submit to him, especially the ones lowest on the pecking order.

Anyways, I've been wondering what I can possibly do about it. I have 9 hens but only 4 or 5 specific ones are being overmated. And I have 2 pullets and a cockerel, all 6 weeks, that I haven't integrated yet. Is it possible that he will calm down with age or when I add the 2 pullets? I'm aware that either the rooster or the cockerel will likely have to go with how few hens I have. Any advice on what to do is appreciated. I'll add a couple pics to show the extent of the overmating.

Attachments

• 20230527_203728.jpg
    20230527_203728.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230527_203737.jpg
    20230527_203737.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 12
How old is your rooster?
You could try hen saddles, but in my experience they don't help that much once the damage is done.
They help to prevent more damage though, including the cuts and scratches that often follow once they have no feathers left.
Also, it can be down to the hens feathers, in that some hens just don't have very strong feathers, that break easily. To tell the truth, I think it bothers the hens less then it bothers us humans.

My rooster just turned a year old a few weeks ago. I do have saddles on the hens that have it worst but they often get flipped up and it doesn't really seem to stop it from getting worse. It may sound trivial but whether or not the hens are bothered by it I hate seeing their good looks ruined by all the torn up feathers.

I like having a rooster in the flock so I would like to consider other options than getting rid of him. But I'm not quite sure where to start on fixing the issue.

I had a huge rooster that was ripping open my hens I loved him so much but I didn’t have enough hens for him I had to rehome him but it was very sad he also wasn’t good with little kids I hope you can keep your roo could you maybe separate him until your hens heal?

Here’s what my rooster did to my hens thank goodness they healed and are alright!
C0532C9E-F41F-4EF0-A276-9C08C72CA969.jpeg

I don't have quite as casual an attitude about this, I think it's painful, I know mine act like it's painful when missing this many feather's for whatever reason. I would for sure separate the 2 who need a break and to grow feathers' back. It would force the Roo to try others without access to them. Is that not an option?

I like having a rooster in the flock so I would like to consider other options than getting rid of him. But I'm not quite sure where to start on fixing the issue.
Maybe try separating him for a bit, and then see if the cockerel is any better??
I do think that at about a year is when it is the worst. They are still very young and enthusiastic, but are heavier then they were before.
I think give them a break, and then reintroduce them maybe be the only way to go....that I can think of anyway.

What he's doing is a habit. So separate him from the hens in his own place. For him not engaging the hens will help to break him a little.

Minimum is a 1 month detention.

Maybe try separating him for a bit, and then see if the cockerel is any better??
I do think that at about a year is when it is the worst. They are still very young and enthusiastic, but are heavier then they were before.
I think give them a break, and then reintroduce them maybe be the only way to go....that I can think of anyway.
It seems like a lot of people are recommending temporary separation. I have 2 coops but one of them houses the adult chickens and the other smaller coop houses the 6 week old pullets and cockerel, so they are both occupied. I suppose I could try to make a divider in the run for the adult chickens to separate them for a while, although he will likely not be happy about it.

If the separation doesn't go well I could just rehome him and see how the cockerel turns out. Not the ideal option but I probably shouldn't keep 2 males with 11 females anyway.

It seems like a lot of people are recommending temporary separation. I have 2 coops but one of them houses the adult chickens and the other smaller coop houses the 6 week old pullets and cockerel, so they are both occupied. I suppose I could try to make a divider in the run for the adult chickens to separate them for a while, although he will likely not be happy about it.

If the separation doesn't go well I could just rehome him and see how the cockerel turns out. Not the ideal option but I probably shouldn't keep 2 males with 11 females anyway.
I have 5 Roosters and 3 hens. Only one rooster is mating with one hen.

Back
Top Bottom