Rooster pecking at my kids! Can I fix this behavior?

Arnolds2638

Chirping
Nov 3, 2020
Intown Atlanta, GA
Our chickens are now about 4.5 months old. We are down to 1 rooster (from the initial 9) and 3 hens from a straight run. We kept our 1 rooster because he has been a great protector of the girls and really mild mannered. Follows me around. Let’s me pick him up whenever. Then in the last few days, he has started attacking my little kids (5 and 3) for absolutely no reason. Fortunately has not harmed them but scared them. Can I get this to stop? Or will Doodles have to go?

Attachments

• C844A99F-80FA-46F2-9704-D1459B4FE481.jpeg
    C844A99F-80FA-46F2-9704-D1459B4FE481.jpeg
    842.5 KB · Views: 43
We had a good roo turned aggressive by some neighbors chasing him/spraying him with hose/ being mean to him. I could possibly be that he experienced this and you did not realize it (like me) we tamed him again by carrying him around the house like a baby for a while. You can go that route but it takes patience, and if you don't want to do that I would just give him away. Let me know what you decide and how it works!
:hugs

Kids are at eye level when a rooster attacks.

nope, the rooster goes.

most people that hate chickens have a negative childhood story involving an aggressive rooster.

you might need to not have a rooster for awhile OR pen him separately in a secure area so kids are not in his space. However, I’d get rid of him and try again in a few years, when kids are older.

You named him Doodles, so you probably are attached to him. He is at a hormonal age so you could try putting him in his own cage for a month or 2 or 3. He will probably start attacking the pullets if he hasn't already. I have one cockerel that mellowed out after being in solitary confinement for a month.

Unfortunately our Snoozie had to go about a month ago or so. I was attached to him, he was a super sweet guy. Then one day he attempted to attack me and I brushed it off as early morning hormones and I had separated him from the girls and he was passed. 3 days later he attacked our 5 year old (who is our animal whisperer). He got her nose, neck, and stomach. I was so torn up over it, but what if it had been her eye?!? He was gone that night. It wasn’t an easy choice but one we had already agreed upon when we brought chickens home. If we ended up with a roo and it ended up rough with the girls he would just be completely free range but if he became people aggressive he had to go. I know it doesn’t make it any easier. But with a 3 and 5 year old it’s not worth it. And he’ll likely increase the frequency and intensity (unless you really have the time to “break” him and even then it’s not a guarantee he won’t revert)

Thanks everyone. We made the decision the night of my post to rehome him. We do love Mr Doodles. And we will miss his personality and the safety he brings to our hens as they free range. But it is not worth the risk of any harm to my kids. We have only allowed the kids near them if I was right there as well. Fortunately he has completely behaved since then. He is being picked up tomorrow to join a flock in the country who recently lost their rooster. So glad we were able to find a great place for a great little roo!

Next thing to figure out..: can my 3 remaining hens free range without their rooster?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom