Rooster picking feathers around the hens vent.

I had a similar problem. I had one hen that had that fifty cent piece of missing feathers. Someone on here told me to up their protein in the feed. I was feeding 16% and was told to buy 20% and mix it in half and half. This brought up the protein to 18%. Whoever was picking stopped and none of my hens are peckers/feather eaters. I know you are already feeding 17% but maybe that 1% will make a difference.

Another thing you can do is put on peepers. You can get them from Randall Burke. Put them on 24/7 for 6 weeks. You need to put them on all your hens. Don't worry they can still drink and eat. This should break the behaviour.

Mary

Quote:
I will certainly do what you have suggested & thanks for your response. I'm still wondering why the rooster is pulling them out & feeding them to the girls. How would he know they need more protein. I'm confused does anybody know the answer. Thanks.

Quote:
We can't ask them, we can only observe them. Of course, most likely he wouldn't. It is possible he feels the need for protein for himself, then his instinct to care for his girls kicks in. They can't tell us, after all.

Feather picking comes from too little space, boredom, and/or too little protein. If you're sure about the protein (depends on how much veggies etc they get) then that leaves the others.

I wouldn't put peepers on my birds, they partially block their vision and look uncomfortable, but some people do. I would separate the roo and watch the pecking hen to see if she continued, and separate her too if she did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
We can't ask them, we can only observe them. Of course, most likely he wouldn't. It is possible he feels the need for protein for himself, then his instinct to care for his girls kicks in. They can't tell us, after all.

Feather picking comes from too little space, boredom, and/or too little protein. If you're sure about the protein (depends on how much veggies etc they get) then that leaves the others.

I wouldn't put peepers on my birds, they partially block their vision and look uncomfortable, but some people do. I would separate the roo and watch the pecking hen to see if she continued, and separate her too if she did.

I finally finished coop # 2 so the roo is gonna be lonely tonight. Hope, he learns his lesson. But, I think the girls are picking feathers as well. I hate it. They were so beautiful now their fluffy butts are bare. I'm still confused about how the roo will learn not to pick feathers after his jail time. Also, how long should I keep him in jail. I gave the girls venision yesterday for extra protein but their still picking feathers. I don't understand why they keep ruining their beautiful feathers. These birds eat like Queens.

You've gotten good advice about upping the protein - even if you're feeding 17%, the veggies and other stuff you're feeding might lower the protein enough to cause picking. Perhaps the rooster is eating lots of veggies and not enough feed.

Also, do they have enough space and are they bored? Those are the two other big reasons for feather picking.

Back
Top Bottom