Rooster picking on 1 hen

You have plenty of space, is there a reason you can't give her her own mini enclosure (or him, either way)? Doesn't have to be anything hardcore, some chicken wire would be enough to do the trick.

Photos of your set up may help.
She is isolating herself mostly so she is not attacked. She stays in the house when the rest of the chickens are out free ranging. She sleeps in a nest box to protect herself and eats while they are all out of the house. She is happier doing that rather than caged somewhere. She does not try to free range very often which makes me sad for her - she is stuck in the house, but safe. I just thought there might be a suggestion to stop the roo from such behaviour.

I had the same problem last year. Finally the hen refused to go back in the coop. If I forced her in she would hide in a nesting box and if I opened a box she would fly out. I finally just let her stay out and she would roost under the carport. Something finally got her one night or early that morning. :(
Oh that is sad. It is hard to know what to do.

Have you considered raising a small batch of chicks to incorporate into the flock, in hopes of finding a replacement rooster? Even six chicks should give you 2 or 3 cockerels to choose from.
Thank you for the suggestion. We have had such a hard time adding chickens to an existing flock in the past. It has caused so much more havoc in the flock that we will not try that at this time. :)

I have had EXCELLENT luck by allowing the grown flock to SEE and HEAR the baby chicks (while the chicks are in their brooder) from the time they come onto your property until the day that you fully incorporate them into the flock at the age of 6 to 7 weeks. This is often called the "see but don't touch" method of integrating birds into an existing flock. Ensure that you have plenty of space for your babies to duck under that the adults cannot reach them and place food and water in that safe area for them. By incorporating them LONG before they're fully grown, they are perceived as a non-threat and will incorporate much easier; often in less than one week you will see them accepted into the flock. Best of luck with your rooster and the hen that he either doesn't like (or that doesn't like HIM).

I have had EXCELLENT luck by allowing the grown flock to SEE and HEAR the baby chicks (while the chicks are in their brooder) from the time they come onto your property until the day that you fully incorporate them into the flock at the age of 6 to 7 weeks. This is often called the "see but don't touch" method of integrating birds into an existing flock. Ensure that you have plenty of space for your babies to duck under that the adults cannot reach them and place food and water in that safe area for them. By incorporating them LONG before they're fully grown, they are perceived as a non-threat and will incorporate much easier; often in less than one week you will see them accepted into the flock. Best of luck with your rooster and the hen that he either doesn't like (or that doesn't like HIM).
Thank you. Sounds like a great method

I had the same problem last year. Finally the hen refused to go back in the coop. If I forced her in she would hide in a nesting box and if I opened a box she would fly out. I finally just let her stay out and she would roost under the carport. Something finally got her one night or early that morning. :(
Yes so sad! I had separated 2 hens and lost one to a hawk. I don't want my hen to be alone now when none of this is her fault. Plus she was there way before he ever came along. I have since tried to increase my hawk deterrent efforts. She seems happier being able to walk around her enclosure and having company without worrying about him. It was sad to see her hiding under the coop all day long.

Back
Top Bottom