Rooster picking on ducks

ajvince

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2019
I have 14 chickens (2 of which are roosters) and 3 ducks all living in the same coop.

One of the roosters has been trying to aggressively mate with one of the ducks and sometimes it seems like he is just being a bully (pecking and pulling at her feathers).

Any advice?

I really appreciate the feedback.
I’m currently working on an article that shows my coop. I’ll post a link when it’s done.
I think I have some flexibility to separate the ducks into their own coop area.
Can they share the same run during the day if they have their own place to sleep at night?
Do you expect any improvement if I gave away the troublesome rooster? Or would the other roster take his place and become a problem?
What if I gave away both roosters?
Do you think the hens and ducks would get along?
Thanks again

I really appreciate the feedback.
I’m currently working on an article that shows my coop. I’ll post a link when it’s done.
I think I have some flexibility to separate the ducks into their own coop area.
Can they share the same run during the day if they have their own place to sleep at night?
Do you expect any improvement if I gave away the troublesome rooster? Or would the other roster take his place and become a problem?
What if I gave away both roosters?
Do you think the hens and ducks would get along?
Thanks again
@Miss Lydia has experience with this situation!

I would work on rehoming the trouble maker, I have chickens and ducks sleeping in the same coop chickens on their roosts 16 of them 2 are rooster and 16 ducks, 5 being Muscovy and they will roost with the chickens. My ducks respect the head rooster and there hasn't been any problems but I have had to deal with problems before and those roosters have had to go. Once you find a home or eat the trouble maker the other rooster may be okay if he isn't causing problems now. You still might want to give your ducks their own areas but still with the flock? Flock dynamics can change dramatically when things are changed around but then again even chicken hens can become a problems with picking on ducks so this is just something your going to have to try and then watch and see how it all goes. What breed are your chickens and what breed are your ducks?
@ajvince. Don't lose hope just protect your ducks till you decide what to do.

I had ducks before I had chickens. Ducks will always be #1 around here! Anyways, the ducks Are free range...the chickens were...until they started picking on the ducks. They got their own run. They never shared a coop. I have new chickens that don’t bother the ducks at all...so, it is just as @Miss Lydia said...they figure out a pecking order? But, if it were mine, at this point..I’d separate them before someone gets hurt. Even if that means a dog crate for the roosters at night until you get your new Set up? Best of wishes!!

Back
Top Bottom