Rooster picks on only one hen

I have 2 roosters and 27 hens and my larger rooster despises one single hen. Mean as hades to her and her only. Attacks for no reason, not trying to mate. Will attack when try are both sitting on the roost at night. Not sure what she did but he hates her guts.

I have the same problem and have resorting to having the rooster or the sad hen in the dog kennel in the coop, I am advertising to get rid of this rooster (the hen was here first) and the other rooster is fine.

Did you come to a resolve??? I am so desperate I don't know what to do, the rooster is very loving and can be picked up and cuddled but attacks this one hen who is the smallest but not the youngest out of 20 hens

I never had any resolution, the rooster still hates her but she's not very popular with the hens either so maybe she really is a (female dog). She is the oldest one by far and seems pretty run down in general so maybe that has something to do with it too.

Last edited:
Well this is what I do to my roosters when they annoy the girls. I wrap one of their feet with vet wrap. It slows them down. The girls just relax.....

The best way to introduce a rooster is put a real young clueless rooster in with the girls and he will be scared out of his mind and when he discovers himself, he's much more respectful.

I have 3 coops and the hens free range all day and choose which coop they want to sleep in at night. I have two roosters and 25 hens and a bantam cochin rooster is stealing all these standard hens from a very large buff orpington rooster. All the girls go in the bantam rooster's coop now, and the big boy sits there wondering if he needs to be more sensitive. Reminds me of high school, you got a bunch of girls flocking to the less threatening male. We'll see what happens when the next hawk comes around.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom