Rooster Problems please help!

Chick79

Hatching
Jul 6, 2015
Hi everyone.
I really need some help. We have an 8 month broiler hen and decided to rescue 2 chicks from a hatching project. Well both chicks have become roosters. They all get along fine. Upon reading posts about roosters we decided to expand the flock and get 2 hens. The roosters wont leave them alone to the point the girls wont leave the coop and go outdoors. I am worried about getting more hens and know whether to get rid of the roosters. I am really not sure what to do now. Thanks

Hi everyone.
I really need some help. We have an 8 month broiler hen and decided to rescue 2 chicks from a hatching project. Well both chicks have become roosters. They all get along fine. Upon reading posts about roosters we decided to expand the flock and get 2 hens. The roosters wont leave them alone to the point the girls wont leave the coop and go outdoors. I am worried about getting more hens and know whether to get rid of the roosters. I am really not sure what to do now. Thanks

Welcome to BYC. Your girls are showing you that there is a need for change - the question is, what change do you want/ can you make? You can add females (a ratio of 8+ hens per rooster), house the males in a separate "bachelor pad" coop and run that you construct or get rid of the roosters (or at least one of them). If you keep even one rooster, and house him with the hens, you will need/want to increase the number of females in your flock.

You have far, far too few hens for the cockerels you have. Two hens for even one male isn't enough in many cases. You should have somewhere around 20, or even more, for the 2 males you have.

Really, culling the roosters would make your hens more happy. I don't think you have a set up yet for a rooster, let alone 2.

Culling the roosters would be the easiest and quickest solution.

Thanks all. I probably should have said too we had a few more chickens when the roosters were babies but unfortunately they passed away. So knew I had to get more hens but wasn't sure how many is a good number to get in one go.I don't have the heart to kill the roosters and I know re homing will be hard so thus weekend, we are going to build another coop for the boys.

Back
Top Bottom