Rooster probs

LynnetteGCB

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2021
Virginia
I suppose this is more venting than anything and I imagine I know what the general consensus will be with what needs to be done with this particular rooster but always open to suggestions. He is affectionately named Joffrey, if you know, you know.
I got a lavender orpington rooster and his 4 matching hens from the state fair almost a year ago now. One of his hens has successfully hatched and continues to care for 5 chicks (yay!) BUT the rooster is becoming a massive problem.
He has come after me 3 times now, first time, I chased him down with that rubber part that’s in your car windows to seal them (it had broken off and was sitting in my console) he did this as I was getting out of my car so I grabbed that and whacked him good, and I mean real good, right across his face. He huffed and fluffed and scooted off so I figured that’ll show him ‘cause I know that damn well hurt.
Second time, it seems he’s actually dancing around me acting like he’s going to strike but he half tried jumping at me and just went about his business when I yelled.
Lastly, today, I was walking back towards the coop to give the hens and chicks water and he full blown gets me from behind on my calf, got a gnarly scratch a good 8 or 9 inches just straight down, I punted this absolute godless heathen about 5 or 6 feet into a bush (this was within a second of it happening, spun around so quick nearly lost my head, after that absolute score I’ve been thinking about taking up soccer).

Anyways, I feel like I did everything to prevent this but I guess he was just born and destined to be a monumental pain in my rear end. Don’t know why I insist on keeping him, he’s a total crap protector, he’s mean and he’s annoying. I guess it’s just because I’ve had him so long, feels like it’s out of principal at this point.
Any advice and suggestions are more than welcome.
I’m not too hard up on giving him a one way ticket to chicken hell just yet so I reckon I can try a thing or two until I’m absolutely fed up.

He will not "get better". I had a rooster that acted like that. He is gone now, thank heavens, someone offered me a replacement, sweet boy just have too many-(yeah right I saw more problems-why give away a GOOD SWEET rooster). I got him. OH BOY!
He's awesome, gentle sweet, good protector. The ONLY time he has ever tried to be aggressive towards me, i was catching his girl, and she was calling for help. He fluffed up and watched very closely, as soon as he realized she was not in danger he walked off. THERE ARE GOOD BOYS OUT THERE.
Get rid of butthead before serious damage is done. No: 1 more chance
Give it another try
I'll try this
Maybe this will work.

Don't try to rehome-why give your problem to someone else?
Soup stew deboned stock roasted are all GOOD options.

Back
Top Bottom