Rooster puffed up

If it feels like a golfball, then it may be his crop. Check it in the morning and feel up a few hens after they have been eating - you should be able to feel their crop when they have eaten.
Comparison a lot of times is how I've learned a lot of things.

Could he have been injured? Fighting with another rooster or fell from a roost?

Safeguard is a good de-wormer. The dose and repeat you did should take care of Roundworms.

Yes. I'm trying to learn as I go. Thanks to all that has helped.

There are no other roosters. An injured foot or leg is a possibility since he loves to jump the hens.

What are all of those black dots on his comb? I don't remember it being like that beforehand.

The black dots may be a few scabs, insect bites and/or dirt.

Keep me posted on how he's doing. He clearly is not feeling too well.
If he's still not pooping much, I would be inclined to give him 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Refrigerate it to harden it up, then break it into bite sized pieces. He may not want it until he tastes it, my birds love Coconut oil.

Where can I find that at walmart? I've never bought coconut oil.
You should be able to find it at Walmart or your grocery store.
Coconut oil is more of a "solid" at cooler temperatures, but has a low melting point, I think 72F or something then it turns to liquid. This is why I refrigerate what I give so it doesn't "melt" before I take it to the bird LOL
I would try to get unrefined if possible (it tastes like Coconut!), store brand or whatever is cheap is fine. This is Walmart brand and around $5.
1601698586614.png

Ok. Thanks.

I just came back from cleaning up the chicken coop and low and behold guess what I find in a roosting poop..... a roundworm. So one of my hens definitely has worms so the rooster likely has them too. I'm going to deworm my whole flock today.

I weighed him today and according to my records he weighed 5.8 lbs on 7-27-20 when I wormed with safeguard and today he weighs 4.4 lbs so looks like he has lost some weight over this. I use a human digital scale with me and the chicken.

Ok. Thanks.

I just came back from cleaning up the chicken coop and low and behold guess what I find in a roosting poop..... a roundworm. So one of my hens definitely has worms so the rooster likely has them too. I'm going to deworm my whole flock today.
I weighed him today and according to my records he weighed 5.8 lbs on 7-27-20 when I wormed with safeguard and today he weighs 4.4 lbs so looks like he has lost some weight over this. I use a human digital scale with me and the chicken.
I would dose him at 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row. Give the Safeguard first thing in the morning when the crop is empty.

The rooster has pooped a more solid poo today, although the quanity is still very low, and it was green.

It shouln't be green at this point should it (3 days in the cage)? How long does it take a chicken to eat and poop something out?

I did find his crop after he eat some and it wasn't what I was refering to before. That was a bone or something. The clavicle doesn't seem correct. Don't know. Anyways his crop couldn't have been impacted or soured because I couldn't find it. It did empty after it filled up. That brings up the question of where has the green grass poo been stopped up at?

He is eating a little more every day and walking better so he is on his way to getting better.

Back
Top Bottom