Rooster question

I have had several roosters over the past years - the quick answer is "it depends".

It depends on the individual rooster on how they act. But they all crow - mine start at around 4:30am, hours before sunlight. I use a no-crow collar, it's a piece of double-sided velcro that wraps around the neck like a tight collar to cut down on the magnitude of the crow. If you get a good roo (follow the bloodline, make sure you know it's not an aggressive breed or line), and you pay attention to how you are supposed to act with them, roos can be great for the flock. I like to keep one around at all times, keeps the flock happy and the safe from predators when free-ranging.

Are roosters as obnoxious as everyone says they are give me the pros and cons of having a rooster ..will they coo all morning long?

I've never had a rooster coo, and I wouldn't keep a human aggressive rooster when there are too many nice tempered ones needing homes. That said, I love my roosters. They're beautiful and useful.
Just this morning I heard my roosters' alarm cry and looked out the window to see the hens scattering for cover. That's not a good scene so calling my dog I raced out.
The hens had and were taking refuge under bushes and in their covered runs. The roosters stayed out on high alert sounding the alarm.
I was just in time to see a thankfully small hawk swoop in low (Not a dive but a swoop from the trees to the left.) between two coops wjere the small old English game rooster pictured, The Mouseketeer, all pound and a quarter of him was. He faced the hawk and rose up at least three feet off the ground (Judging by an imaginary yardstick). I was screaming and the dog was heading in that direction and the hawk (Probably a sharp shin or more likely a Cooper's) rose up and kept going.
I left the dog and the ducks out and didn't see the hawk for the rest of the day. Don't ask why. We don't know, but several of us in this area have noticed that hawks seem reluctant to come down when ducks are out.
Pound for pound the little bantam roosters are brave, and mine are very people friendly. So are my big roosters or I wouldn't keep them.

Okay I've been looking at white laced wyandotte for a male and the rest easter Eggers (hens). I already have three ducks 3mo. And would like to add four hems and a rooster to the bunch. My husband thinks it will be hard with a rooster crowing all the time. He just thinks they are a handful but I think it would be great ...

Pros - they keep watch on the girls, they are pretty, they give you fertile eggs if you need them

Cons - they are SO loud (don't think cooing think screaming), they can be aggressive (I know this sounds crazy, but it is no joke if/when one comes attacking at you), they can be rough on the hens' feathers when they mate them, the hens do not appear to enjoy being attacked for mating multiple times a day

If you are only getting 4 hens I would definitely not get a rooster. A rooster needs at least 8-10 hens. With only 4 he would wear their back feathers raw.

Pros - they keep watch on the girls, they are pretty, they give you fertile eggs if you need them

Cons - they are SO loud (don't think cooing think screaming), they can be aggressive (I know this sounds crazy, but it is no joke if/when one comes attacking at you), they can be rough on the hens' feathers when they mate them, the hens do not appear to enjoy being attacked for mating multiple times a day

If you are only getting 4 hens I would definitely not get a rooster. A rooster needs at least 8-10 hens. With only 4 he would wear their back feathers raw.

Oh well then I guess it's not happening lol

Pro: Many will defend your ladies with their lives. They lead the hens to the coop at dusk and alert hens to sources of food during the day. I have noticed that my hens also forage MUCH further with a rooster around so that is nice as well. Bad roosters taste good. Plus, you can get fertile eggs to replace hens/roosters anytime you need!

Cons: They eat but dont lay eggs! Also, once they go bad it really ruins the serenity of your chicken husbandry and you WILL need to get rid of him. (I am currently the owner of a bad production red rooster and have to carry a fishing net with me everywhere I go so I can catch him if he attacks me. Im waiting to cull him until after getting one more batch of sex links from him).

Tip: Stay away from production red roosters- every one I have ever had turned out mean. All of my Delaware roosters, on the other hand, have been sweet and gentle. (Which basically means they stay away from me and give me a wide birth).

Pro: Many will defend your ladies with their lives. They lead the hens to the coop at dusk and alert hens to sources of food during the day. I have noticed that my hens also forage MUCH further with a rooster around so that is nice as well. Bad roosters taste good. Plus, you can get fertile eggs to replace hens/roosters anytime you need!

Cons: They eat but dont lay eggs! Also, once they go bad it really ruins the serenity of your chicken husbandry and you WILL need to get rid of him. (I am currently the owner of a bad production red rooster and have to carry a fishing net with me everywhere I go so I can catch him if he attacks me. Im waiting to cull him until after getting one more batch of sex links from him).

Tip: Stay away from production red roosters- every one I have ever had turned out mean. All of my Delaware roosters, on the other hand, have been sweet and gentle. (Which basically means they stay away from me and give me a wide birth).
That's too funny bad roosters taste good okay I'll take that. I'm just wondering what to do what if these new baby chicks font get along with my three month old ducks . Will my ducks try to kill them?

I just recently got 12 buff Orpingtons. They were pullets, but I did get one rooster. I have handled them regularly several times a day, and he will actually jump up and sit on my arm or my shoulder. He's only about 5 weeks old, but seems to have a good disposition. Although, he still gets fiesty he doesn't seem to show aggression. He does keep a close eye on the girls already. Any time he hears one of them squawk he stands tall and runs to make sure they are ok.

Back
Top Bottom