Rooster question

So my 12 pullets are 10 weeks old. I need a rooster for flock protection. If my chickens are 10 weeks old how old should the rooster be that I get? Or does it matter?
Maybe the same age people are definitely willing to get rid of rooster shouldn't be to hard to find what area are you in

You can find free roosters on-line. Lots of people don't want the roosters because they are aggressive. Remember, a rooster can't protect your hens from predators. They may make a bunch of noise to sound the alarm but can't stop a predator. Do get a rooster about the same age as your pullets as an older one may do damage when breeding them.

You can find free roosters on-line. Lots of people don't want the roosters because they are aggressive. Remember, a rooster can't protect your hens from predators. They may make a bunch of noise to sound the alarm but can't stop a predator. Do get a rooster about the same age as your pullets as an older one may do damage when breeding them.
I have found lots of roosters online but they’re just so far away

I would wait until your pullets are laying before introducing a rooster.
I would select an older cockerel or younger rooster that has been raised in a multi-generational flock. These birds have learned proper manners from the senior rooster and hens and tend to be much better birds. They have also learned how to behave around human care takers and if they are human aggressive, it is usually apparent.
I don't sell my boys unless they are a rarer or sought after pure breed. Mutts should all be free as should the very common breeds.

Back
Top Bottom