Rooster Question

Stephanie-n-Hayden

Songster
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
I wasn't sure where to post this question. If this is the wrong place I apologize.

Is it okay to keep a rooster with it's mother hen?

My GLW bantam hatched out her first clutch, and the 4 babies are about 3 weeks old now. I can already tell that 2 are roosters and 2 are hens. The daddy, an old english game bantam, is no longer with us and I would like to keep both of the roosters so that I can have chicks again next year. But, my husband has seen on Craig's List where people are giving away roosters because they don't want them to breed with the moma. Is this a personal decision, or is there danger involved with letting roosters "mate" with their own mother's. Sounds gross, but I know things are different with animals.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it!!

I don't think there should be a problem, except when you try to explain it to your children.
roll.png

Otherwise, I think it should be fine and there won't be any more birth defects or inbred ailments among your next chicks than usual. The familial lines are all criss-crossed in my flock and there haven't been any two-headed chicks hatching out. Yet...

There usually are lots of folks trying to get rid of extra roosters by posting on CraigsList, the "don't want them to breed with the Mama" seems just like an excuse to justify why they want to give them away. Or maybe they're just not smart enough to post a question about it on BYC.

Quote:
THANK YOU!! That makes me feel better. I kept telling my husband that I didn't think it was a problem in the animal kingdom, but he was concerned anyway. We don't have any roos other than the two babies. I hear so many horror stories about "When Roosters Attack" that I am leary about getting a standard sized roo, so I would really like to keep these two because they are bantams. How much damage can a bantam do, right? Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom