rooster question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster lover 119, Dec 21, 2010.

1. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Hi everyone im new to chicken farming. just started this year! and I've learned a lot! but my step dad won't let us get two roosters! [​IMG] I try to convince him why it is good to have more like how they keep order in the flock, etc. but i just can't convince him! he says if you put roosters together they won't stop until the other one is killed. is this true? i know they fight but will they to the death? i've seen many chicken farms including friends who have many roosters with their hens? can someone help me out and convince my step dad why we SHOULD get another roo!

Thanks!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    How many hens do you have?

3. rooster lover 119

Aug 8, 2010
    i have ten hens one roo. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    10 hens and one rooster, I have to agree with your Stepdad. Another rooster is just asking for problems ranging from fighting to wear and tear on the hens. Raise some chicks next year with one of your broody hens. Increase the hens in your flock and keep one of the young cockerels. The dominant rooster will keep him in his place and you will have two roosters and many more hens.[​IMG]

5. rooster lover 119

Aug 8, 2010
    ok cool we were already gonna make black stars with my RIR rooster and my barred rock hens! thanks![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Generally 3 roos will get along better than 2.

1 roo to 10 hens is a good ratio.

Are they free-ranged or confined?

We have two roosters and 2 separate runs. The two of them got along just fine since the younger had been in with the older since he was a chick and was used to deferring to him. We voluntarily separated them mainly for breeding reasons. Cochin with cochins, EE with the hybrid layers. The two roosters occasionally puff up feathers at one another if one is out free-ranging and the other is still confined. But if they're both in their runs, they ignore each other. Although it is hilarious to see our young EE try to "chat up" the big, puffy cochin hens. THey just give him a look like "Are you kidding?" and gracefully do their cochin waddle away.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    The average is a rooster for every 10 hens. It would be better to get three, I have someone who has five and two hens. But waiting until you get the other girl is the smartest thing to do. And also, I have to strongly disagree with your dad. Some roosters are very sweet and gentle and not very dominant. Two is a pretty violent number though, but if neither are super aggressive I bet that there wouldn't be much of a problem.

Nick

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have had 1 roo from day one and in the last couple years I have had extra roos from hatches. its ok for even up to 6 months but even if they dont fight I see the young roo being bossed and chased by not only the dominate roo but also the more dominate hens. They get stressed and I just hate to see them chased away from food and treats. As much as I would have loved to keep some of the beautiful mixed roos I've had I figured they were better off with their own ladies. If I wanted to keep another roo I would separate and make 2 separate flocks.

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have two roos and 13 hens.

But If I separate them by classification I have:

1 commercial rock roo-standard
    10 hens (game,standard,large and heavy)

1 ee bantam roo
    2 standard oeg bantam hens
    1 bbroeg bantam hen- (his main squeeze)

Also they live with two chock muscovy hens and 4 guineas(two roo and two hens)

and two male coturnix scurring on the ground of the enclosed coop and run.

The boys (Speckles-the commercial rock, and Bumpus-the ee bantam) get into very mild tuffs just for fun.

communial harmony!![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  10. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    the roosters will not fight to the death but they will fight and how long they fight depends on the breed and the age example...

A 6 month old rooster will only fight for a minute or two
    A 2 year old rooster will fight until the other rooster get him good or he is worn out

I have had half a dozen rooster lose eyes in dominace fights

unless both roosters are full game there is nothing to worry about
    games will never be completely be beaten they might fight until they are tired or lose an eye but they will come back later after they get rested
    the reason roosters fight to the death and its over so fast is because fighters use weapons on the birds spur to make it quicker with less sufering

Now 1/10 is a good ratio for male to female
    i would not advise getting another rooster because it will lower fertility and cause more mating pressure on the hens
    roosters really dont help with anything but fertilizing eggs
    but its fun to have roosters around they are interesting to watch and i dont blame you for wanting two
    if you had say 15 or 20 hens you would have a better argument for another rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by