rooster question

kjbecker1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
I am new to raising chickens and currently have 16 in my brooder box i was wondering how many rooster should i have in a backyard flock is one enough or should i have 2. Also what is a good rooster to have around. Jason

free range id keep 1 roo per 10 hens..for breeding i keep 1 roo 3 girls
my favorite roo for me is the Morgan Whitehackle Game calm birds very protective of
their girls and chicks and very beautiful coloring..love them on the yard..

Most people will say one or two. What kind depends on why you want rroos...for flock defense, amusement, looks, or to breed and produce chicks. Game roos are beautiful but fight nor, buff orpingtons are sweet but large, I have a brown leghorn who looks like toe prototypical rooster w/blue tailfeathers and a brown body and huge bright red comb with white earlobes. Very handsome but a little more aggressive than my BO.

I say go to some chicken shows and talk with people.
good luck,
N. VA

My best roo is a rhode island red. He's my boy lol
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
The best rooster to keep is one that is not aggressive to you or the hens. If you are planning on hatching eggs, 2 roosters to that many hens would be enough. If you just want lawn ornaments, one is enough. Generally multiple roosters leads to multiple problems. Have fun with your chickens.

My Australorp roo is a perfect gentleman to humans and hens. My Delaware roos were brooded together, and never fight each other. These are dual-purpose breeds, and I think "most" dual-purpose roos have a mellow reputation.

Back
Top Bottom