1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Dec 22, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I think I have an intreasting question on my hands. Ok well I read somewhere that a roo will only breed hens that he finds are suitable. Someone put a big Tom turkey in with a tiny sebright and not once did he try to mount her. Hence the fact he didn't think she was suitable. So I have a big New Hampshire red with a flock of 13 hens. Out of those 13 is a small Golden laced Polish and her sister a Bantie mix. They are 5 months old and he doesn't take any interest in them doesn't even try to court them. Even though they are not of age and don't have the respect for him yet would he not see them as mate due to size?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I have a large Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster and he mounts all of my hens (even my 20 ounce Old English Game). I have incubated eggs from hens that I've never seen him mount and they developed. I think he will eventually start to mount him. Many times, if a rooster sees you as above him in the pecking order, he will not mount hens when you're around. I hope this helps!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My roos find all the hens suitable. If they're female, and of the same species, and sexually mature, they're fair game. Animals don't see size or breed differences the way humans do.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Ok just a question I'm just concerned he will hurt them if he try's.

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's quite possible he can injure them while trying to mate. You should examine the role of the rooster in your flock or your housing arrangements.

6. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    What exactly do you mean?

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I mean if you want to keep little hens, you rooster might have to go. Or if you want to keep the rooster, the little hens might have to go. Or you might need to build another pen to house either the little hens or the big rooster. Just waiting to see IF he hurts them is kind of irresponsible to the hens. You know there is a good possibility he will hurt them, so you need to make some decisions about your flock management.

8. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Well my hen or roo are most certainly not leaving that's for sure. Maybe I will build a Seprete cage but not at the moment.

9. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    For the time being, you could probably just make sure there are hiding places for your little hens.

10. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Oh yes there are many hiding places. I believe once he tryed to mount he then she was merely 4 months old. Being how tiny she was she quickly squirmed though and ran. she is quite the feisty hen for being the smallest making sure no one try's to size her up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by