Rooster questions. Need advice

Skyleen13

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
I’ve got a mixed flock of 18 birds. Half are full grown hens. Other half a pullets about to start laying in the next couple weeks. I’ve got 1full grown rooster that’s about 2 years old. He’s been a great breeder of my gals & super protector. Now however, I’ve got a 5 month old rooster who’s super nice & likes petting him. He’s so far way more friendly then our current rooster who doesn’t want anything to do with us. He runs away from us & bites whenever we have to catch him for his monthly check ups. ( I do that to make sure no one has any hidden issues or are getting mite/flea/tick infestations) My new young rooster willingly let’s us hold him & loves his chin scratched. He also lets us pet him all the time.

My questions are thus:

1.What age do roosters start crowing/maturing?
2. Should I be worried about my 2 roosters fighting once my little boy starts being a big boy?
3. Do roosters behaviors change once they start maturing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

That your older rooster is standoffish isn't a bad thing. From BYC, I've learned it's preferable that they keep their distance. Overly friendly cockerels can become aggressive, so beware. They do change as they mature.
The OP mentioned that the old rooster bites when handled. Personally, I would prefer a rooster that is easily handled over one that bites.

That your older rooster is standoffish isn't a bad thing. From BYC, I've learned it's preferable that they keep their distance. Overly friendly cockerels can become aggressive, so beware. They do change as they mature.
Thank you. We’re taking a wait & see approach to our young one. We are constantly out in the yard handling him & giving him treats to hopefully decrease the chance that he will become hostile once he matures. Our older rooster is starting to become a real poop towards our hens. His favorite hens he won’t leave alone. He keeps mounting them constantly & both their necks & backs are becoming bald.

I've had good experience keeping multiple roosters. My original roosters all grew up together, and I've introduced young cockerels to the flock successfully as well. It sounds like your boys are already together now? If so, that's a good start. I have had a few major bloody battles, but I actually think I caused them by disrupting the pecking order for my breeding projects. If you really like this new rooster, I would suggest letting him stick around until there's actually a problem. In the meantime, be sure to have a separate coop or pen, large dog crate, etc. so you can separate them if they get into a bloody battle that lasts more than 15-20 min. Also, be prepared to remove one of them, if they don't work out together, or if your hens show signs of "overuse" (e.g. missing back feathers, damaged combs, etc). By giving them as much time as possible, if/until it's absolutely necessary to remove one, you'll get a chance to see how the cockerel will turn out before getting rid of your other rooster. You should have a pretty good idea of his adult personality within the next few months.

Here are some more details & rooster stories, if you're interested...
too many roosters

Thank you. We’re taking a wait & see approach to our young one. We are constantly out in the yard handling him & giving him treats to hopefully decrease the chance that he will become hostile once he matures. Our older rooster is starting to become a real poop towards our hens. His favorite hens he won’t leave alone. He keeps mounting them constantly & both their necks & backs are becoming bald.

Sounds like it might be a pretty easy decision about which one to keep

I've had good experience keeping multiple roosters. My original roosters all grew up together, and I've introduced young cockerels to the flock successfully as well. It sounds like your boys are already together now? If so, that's a good start. I have had a few major bloody battles, but I actually think I caused them by disrupting the pecking order for my breeding projects. If you really like this new rooster, I would suggest letting him stick around until there's actually a problem. In the meantime, be sure to have a separate coop or pen, large dog crate, etc. so you can separate them if they get into a bloody battle that lasts more than 15-20 min. Also, be prepared to remove one of them, if they don't work out together, or if your hens show signs of "overuse" (e.g. missing back feathers, damaged combs, etc). By giving them as much time as possible, if/until it's absolutely necessary to remove one, you'll get a chance to see how the cockerel will turn out before getting rid of your other rooster. You should have a pretty good idea of his adult personality within the next few months.

Here are some more details & rooster stories, if you're interested...
too many roosters
Thank you! Yes both of them are in the same run together. Have been for the last month. My adult rooster put him in his place once by pinning him down & that was it. They get along just fine right now. My juvenile is named Rowdy. Adult is Heyhey.

I’ve got a mixed flock of 18 birds. Half are full grown hens. Other half a pullets about to start laying in the next couple weeks. I’ve got 1full grown rooster that’s about 2 years old. He’s been a great breeder of my gals & super protector. Now however, I’ve got a 5 month old rooster who’s super nice & likes petting him. He’s so far way more friendly then our current rooster who doesn’t want anything to do with us. He runs away from us & bites whenever we have to catch him for his monthly check ups. ( I do that to make sure no one has any hidden issues or are getting mite/flea/tick infestations) My new young rooster willingly let’s us hold him & loves his chin scratched. He also lets us pet him all the time.

My questions are thus:

1.What age do roosters start crowing/maturing?
2. Should I be worried about my 2 roosters fighting once my little boy starts being a big boy?
3. Do roosters behaviors change once they start maturing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
You have a mature rooster and a cockerel. Your cockerel could start crowing any time. I agree that at some point he will challenge your rooster. There is no way to know how that will go until it happens. My neighbor had a young rooster kill her older one. I would suggest you have a plan ready ASAP to separate the two if things get ugly (and that can happen fast). Your cockerel may or may not continue to enjoy being handled. You’ll find out as he matures. Personally, I prefer a stand-offish rooster that respects my space. Have you tried handling and checking yours over at night? He might handle it better.

Back
Top Bottom