ROOSTER QUESTIONS

Is he pulling feathers out on purpose? Like chasing them down and yanking feathers out? Or on accident by grabbing their necks while mounting and trodding on their backs?
I think in the beginning, it's pretty awkward and feathers can be collateral damage. Especially if the girls are not crouching for him.
If he is pulling their feathers out on purpose, that's not okay, that's a real problem. And keeping him separated for a longer time till his hormones settle is best. I'm no expert. I have heard people here say nine months to a year.
If after that, he's still doing it, then a more permanent solution may be in order.
Thank you so much for your reply!
He is not really chasing them, so I do not think he is pulling the feathers out on purpose. I think he is just an awkward teenager, trying to figure it out and not to gracious about it. The pullets being not as mature as he is, are not accepting of his behavior.
He seem quite happy in his "bachelor" pad as long as he can see his flockmates. I think I will just keep him there for awhile during the day and see how it plays out. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom