Rooster Questions????????

the westspartan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
So this spring we started our first flock of chickens. They are now about 11 to 12 weeks old. We have 10 total and it looks like two are roos. We are raising these birds for eggs, so I don't mind having two roosters around as long as it doesn't cause problems, so far it hasn't. I also don't mind eating one of the boys if we have to. Today they squared of for a few seconds and it seems that there is a clear dominant bird. We free range these birds if it makes any difference in regard to these questions.

My questions are these:

1. Is it usually a problem having two roosters in a small flock like this?
2. When do most people cull extra roosters?
3. How do you decide which one to keep?
(They are both beautiful speckled sussex roos. Rooster1 developed feathers, comb and wattles before all of the other birds(including the hens). He is more dominant over the girls and is crowing. Rooster2 is just starting to get wattles, he seems a little more laid back right now, and is noticeably larger than Rooster1, with thicker legs, and a bigger head.)
4. How many of you keep multiple roosters in a small flock?
5. Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks for any input you can give,
Dan

1. Is it usually a problem having two roosters in a small flock like this? It can be. The favorite hens will be overmated and lose feathers on their backs. (you can get them saddles to help with this wear. One rooster can take care of 10 hens.
2. When do most people cull extra roosters? Around 20 weeks. Too much after that, and you need to slow cook/soup the bird as it's tough.
3. How do you decide which one to keep?
(They are both beautiful speckled sussex roos. Rooster1 developed feathers, comb and wattles before all of the other birds(including the hens). He is more dominant over the girls and is crowing. Rooster2 is just starting to get wattles, he seems a little more laid back right now, and is noticeably larger than Rooster1, with thicker legs, and a bigger head.) The one that is a gentleman to the hens, calling them for treats, mating gently (this is an acquired skill - young roosters have to get the hang of it first), and not attacking you.
4. How many of you keep multiple roosters in a small flock? I had 2 roosters in with 13 hens for a while. They did fine together, but some of the hens had some wear to their feathers. Once my new coop was finished, I separated them into 2 flocks.
5. Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Just watch your flock and you'll see any issues.

This was very helpful for me, too.

I have three roosters and 21 hens. One of the roos is a bantam d'Uccle and the other two are large Polish.

They are still teenagers, but the roos are definitely now taking an interest in the hens and crowing a lot more.

One of my Polish roos seems a bit rough; although he has not yet "mounted" any of the hens, he seems a bit rough in that he bites them and tries to hold onto them.

My little d'Uccle successfully got onboard one of the little d'Uccle hens, but as she started running away, he just held his balance as if he were riding a surfboard.

(it was funny!)

I've never had roosters before, so this is a new experience for me. My flock is a mixture of 14-17 week olds (the Polish are the 17 week olds).

smile.png

While i was still thinking about getting chickens, i asked someone about multiple roosters. He said that to stop the fighting, dunk their heads in water until they are dizzy, then throw them together. It makes them scared of each other. I've never tried it, but he had several roosters...

Back
Top Bottom