Rooster questions

redoak

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Russia, NY
My 2 roosters (buff rock and buff orp) who are 17 weeks old have started showing signs of aggression towards me and the hens. So I've started working with them so I'm alpha rooster with advice from BYC and the Keeping your roosters sane article from homestead mag. So far I've made some progress with them being not aggressive towards me but not the hens. Does anyone have any advice on how to make roosters less agressive towards hens, besides a bachelors pad and separate run? Also when a rooster crows or flaps his wings are those signs of aggression and should I try to discourage them when I'm present? Thanks for any advice.

I tried and tried with my buff orp, and the only answer was to get rid of him. You can keep trying tho. I think if you hold them upside down long enough they can get brain damage, and they will be retarded, and then they are nice.
lau.gif
good luck tho!

The orp always calms down when I pick him up. He's the worse when I bring out treats, he wants all the treats and the hens to have none. So I've been making him keep his distance while the hens feed. The rock fights like crazy when I pick him up, so I have to hold his legs and his body, which I do until he calms down.

It sounds like you're doing the right things with them. I'm surprised about them not sharing with the hens. Lately Rhodey, my RIR cockerel, has been standing back so the girls can have first pick of the treats when I put them out. I'm so proud of him being a gentleman! All I can think of with your two is that they want to make sure that they other roo doesn't get first pick of the treats, or any for that matter. Keep with the holding thing. It is important for them to learn who's the alpha in the flock.

Today I put the roosters in our fenced in dog yard, about 1 acre in size. They are for the most part wandering around together ignoring the hens. While the hens are digging holes, dust bathing, eating and just relaxing. The rock this morning was getting aggressive with our Aussie who thought the rooster was playing. My wife who's good with dogs ran out and turned the situation around. The Aussie named Declan barked at and tried to herd the roosters.

i did what my grand father told me
take a piece of rope and tie his legs together give him just enough slack to where he can walk then he cant spur you any more after about a week he finally realized that he couldnt spur me and quit tryin so now if i have any problems out of him i can just take a piece of rope in with me and he knows what will happen if he tries to spur me so he doesnt bother any more:D

Great idea. Remember, tho, that the roosters are just coming sexually mature, so that mean that they are quite h*rny! Think of them as teenagers and you get the drift! Some roosters seem to have their instints right away, while others take awhile to master their skills. I have a EE roo, that is quite aggressive, but he takes care of his girls so well. He calls them when he finds a treat and if they squawk, he's right there to make sure they are ok. Then I have a PR roo, that at over a year old has never even tried to flog me, but he's all about taking care of himself. Only thing he wants is s*x. No matter what I do to tame the EE roo has failed. Maybe some can be tamed, but I know Rocky will never be tamed. Keep working with your roos, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Back
Top Bottom