Rooster really beating up my ladies

roxanne

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Our rooster is MEAN! He is a barred rock and VERY BIG! All of my ladies have bare spots on their backs from where this brutal rooster is mounting them. I have not seen any blood, but the skin where the feathers have been worn off doesn’t look good either. I put aprons on my ladies during the cold months to protect them, but it’s way too hot to leave the aprons on the hens during the summer. BUT, I don’t know what else to do! I would love to get rid of this nasty rooster … but my husband says that he is an effective protector for the flock. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Our rooster is MEAN! He is a barred rock and VERY BIG! All of my ladies have bare spots on their backs from where this brutal rooster is mounting them. I have not seen any blood, but the skin where the feathers have been worn off doesn’t look good either. I put aprons on my ladies during the cold months to protect them, but it’s way too hot to leave the aprons on the hens during the summer. BUT, I don’t know what else to do! I would love to get rid of this nasty rooster … but my husband says that he is an effective protector for the flock. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
A rooster pedicure might help. Trim back the spurs and claws and file them nicely, until they will be rounded and no sharp edges or tips left.

In what way is he mean? Being big and breeding aren't signs of being mean.

Its pretty common for hens to have bare backs due to a rooster. Many of mine do, yet they fight over who gets to sleep next to him at night, and they follow him everywhere. He's a Freedom Ranger and is much bigger than the girls.

You can try trimming or filling his spurs.

If he is attacking people or being a bully, I would agree he needs to go. Feather loss with no blood isn't as much of an issue for your hens as it is for you.

Back
Top Bottom