Rooster Rescue! (and other chichens)

Dec 18, 2017
Boring, Oregon
So I have decided to open a rooster rescue because there is so many roosters that are in terrible living conditions or abandoned so I figured I would do something about it!
I take in all different kinds of rooster and hens I also take other unwanted birds of all kinds
if you or someone you know are trying to get rid of roosters or other birds or wants to donate food, treats, or other supplies message me.
I'm in Boring Oregon and until I get a better car I can only take deliveries
if they have a disease please tell me so I can treat them away from my other birds
ALL BIRDS WELCOME

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea behind what you’re doing but just wanted to add, you can’t cure a disease, they’re carriers of it for life, even when they seem perfectly fine, and they will infect other birds. I once attempted something like what you’re doing and every bird came down with MG and had to be culled. My apologies for being so dark but that was the harsh reality of my situation. I lost my own birds along with the “rescues” and it was awful.

Good luck and all the best :)

I love the idea behind what you’re doing but just wanted to add, you can’t cure a disease, they’re carriers of it for life, even when they seem perfectly fine, and they will infect other birds. I once attempted something like what you’re doing and every bird came down with MG and had to be culled. My apologies for being so dark but that was the harsh reality of my situation. I lost my own birds along with the “rescues” and it was awful.

Good luck and all the best :)
I have a big enough property that i should be able to keep sick birds away from my healthy ones if I'm really careful and change clothes before I go into my healthy pens that or they might have to be culled depending on the severity of the diseases

So I have decided to open a rooster rescue because there is so many roosters that are in terrible living conditions or abandoned so I figured I would do something about it!
I take in all different kinds of rooster and hens I also take other unwanted birds of all kinds
if you or someone you know are trying to get rid of roosters or other birds or wants to donate food, treats, or other supplies call or text me at 5414104866 or email me at [email protected]
I'm in Boring Oregon and until I get a better car I can only take deliveries
if they have a disease please tell me so I can treat them away from my other birds
ALL BIRDS WELCOME

:thumbsup :bow You're a chicken super hero! Bravo! :clap:ya:wee
iu

I think it's great that you're doing this! Most of my chickens are rescues, and I would definitely rather rescue an unwanted chicken than buy or hatch chicks.

Some advice: always quarantine all new birds you get, as some may have problems that the owners didn't know about. For example, I brought home three roosters that ended up having a severe case of feather mites/lice and scaly leg mites. Also, consider feeding your birds a feed other than layer, as layer can cause damage to any bird who is not actively laying eggs. Since there are so many more unwanted roosters than hens, you should also consider starting a flock of all roosters, which actually fight much less than they would have if they were all forced to share their hens.

Last edited:
I think it's great that you're doing this! Most of my chickens are rescues, and I would definitely rather rescue an unwanted chicken than buy or hatch chicks.

Some advice: definitely quarantine all new birds you get, as some may have problems that the owners didn't know about. For example, I brought home three roosters that ended up having a severe case of feather mites/lice and scaly leg mites. Also, consider feeding your birds a feed other than layer, as layer can cause damage to any bird who is not actively laying eggs. Since there are so many more unwanted roosters than hens, you should also consider starting a flock of all roosters, which actually fight much less than they would have if they were all forced to share their hens.
that's what I'm doing. i have a big field with a pond and i have a friend on byc with an all rooster flock and she is who inspired me then i decided to go onto craigslist to see how many there actually is. my only problem is i have no way to go out to pick them up they have to be delivered and many people are not willing to do that. so far i have over 50 birds and roughly 18 different breeds and counting
i run a rescue and i also breed show birds I'm hoping that i can show some of my rescues and kind of raise awareness
this year I'm going to try and grow a garden for my chickens with all sorts of veggies and stuff I'm also going to try my luck with fodder

Back
Top Bottom