Pics
Have you tried wrapping the leg in a cold washcloth for about 15 minutes at a time? Is there no foot response at all? No attempt to curl his toes around your hand and no movement at all? If I recall he did have movement at one time? If it were me, I'd see how he does in the sling for a couple of days before making and decisions as to how to proceed. If his leg is indeed paralyzed, that can be very problematic as it will be harder for him to move around than if he had just one leg. He also wouldn't be able to feel and injury to it. Again if it were me and there was no leg response at all within the next few days I would have him pts since his quality of life would be so diminished. I am a very firm believer in quality of life > quantity of life.
I totally agree with you on this. This has been my stance all along. It's just hard when I see vast improvements and tons of vitality, and what it all comes down to is a lame leg.

But I just had a sudden, unexplained mood change and am actually feeling quite comfortable and at east with this entire experience now. I feel complete trust and faith in the good feedback I've received, the steps I've taken, his progress, and what may be an inevitability with a decision I'll have to make.

My sister's dog died a few days ago. She kept him home with her, when she could have had him put down. She did this for her benefit, not his, and I was (ETA: unfairly) bothered by this. I'm not someone to do that, and yet I'm walking that line with Henry.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. He's eating a hemp laced banana with gusto and will soon be hanging from his cozy (but not cute) sling and watching me build some roosts.

I am definitely following this! thanks you for the updates. I am personally amazed that you have been able to keep him alive with a sucking chest wound. if that wound is healing up and you do not see signs of gas gangrene anywhere, I would pat yourself on the back for getting this far, it's kind of miraculous! I really like Say1's suggestions of a wheel chair, when the time is right. I don't think you are in a huge hurry, the wounds are priority number one, IMHO. once he has truly turned the corner on wound healing, then trying to get him to use the leg if possible would probably be good, as long as it's not broken. if it's broken, making some kind of splint would be good and giving it time. if there were punctures around his spine, then it's possible he is paralyzed in that limb. Acupuncture can be very helpful at this stage, if you can find someone to do it on him. it's possible that the feeling and function will return in his leg but it's also possibly unlikely. I wouldn't worry about his suffering right now, it sounds like he has exuberance and a will to live and you have invested a lot of love and time in this... I'd keep it up for a while longer. keep up the good work and keep letting us know how it's going. I for one would really like to see some photos of the wounds, it would help me understand the direction things are going.
Thank you so much!

And I do owe everyone some photos, although I now have family following along with these posts. The photos are rather traumatizing, to say the least. My husband still makes gagging sounds when he's around poor Henry, but he's done great stepping up and helping when needed, and I'm so not kidding when I say he's become quite the chicken whisperer. That's the photo that really needs to be share.

But, okay, yes. Photos indeed.

First, thank you for keeping us updated. We are reading and learning from Henry's horrible incident with the coyote.

I always tell people how great herbal medicine can be. The only issue is that herbs have a cumulative value. Meaning you are against the clock. A strong immune system and will to survive are crucial. Henry has proven he has both. At this point an injectable broad spectrum antibiotic, like Baytril, would help. But, if you cannot do this and have chosen the herbal route, that too can work.

His leg issue needs to be addressed, I have had much success with Comfrey poultice.
I have used Comfrey for smashed fingers, deep bruises, twisted ankles etc. While I have not applied a poultice to an animal, I would definitely do so if they needed it. Comfrey was widely used in rural communities to heal broken bones when doctors were not available. That's why it is also referred to as Knit Bone. Poultices need to be changed every 12 hours. Improvement should be noticed the first day, with a decrease in pain. As long as there are no open wounds or sign of external infection where the poultice is to be placed, it can be done.

You are doing things in a timely manner, not even doctors will perform certain procedures till a patient is stable.

Anyways, there you go...something else to think about. :)
Truly stellar feedback, thanks!

And I woke up this morning thinking about comfrey, an herb I used to drink as a tea but one I've never used medicinally in a poultice. I wouldn't have considered a comfrey poultice if you hadn't mentioned it.

I'll get some today and report back on his progress.

I totally agree with you on this. This has been my stance all along. It's just hard when I see vast improvements and tons of vitality, and what it all comes down to is a lame leg.

But I just had a sudden, unexplained mood change and am actually feeling quite comfortable and at east with this entire experience now. I feel complete trust and faith in the good feedback I've received, the steps I've taken, his progress, and what may be an inevitability with a decision I'll have to make.

My sister's dog died a few days ago. She kept him home with her, when she could have had him put down. She did this for her benefit, not his, and I was (ETA: unfairly) bothered by this. I'm not someone to do that, and yet I'm walking that line with Henry.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. He's eating a hemp laced banana with gusto and will soon be hanging from his cozy (but not cute) sling and watching me build some roosts.

Your adventure with Henry has been alternately heart breaking and inspiring to follow. Your writing is so engaging!l!
I agree with your attitude, which is to say I empathize and would try to do as well by any of my critters as you have with Henry. Including helping them on their way when it is obviously time. Is it Henry's time? Probably not. It sounds like he is motivated and progressing well.
We have a "special needs" pullet. I found a Vet (an hour away) who was willing to look at her several months ago. She has a neurologic impairment: cannot clench her feet or stand easily - so: no scratching about, no roosting, very little sensation in those feet. Some days she moves about 8', some days she stays put, some days she makes sure the crabby EE doesn't peck at her. Vet said, no need to euthanize her, just keep her comfortable and see what happens.
I am going to borrow some of your herbal concoctions to see if they give Olivia a little more zest. Nutri-drench has helped, but she'll need more help, going into Winter IMO.

Thank you for sharing so much, just imagine, Henry's experience benefiting a pullet in Montana! FWIW, we have coyotes as well and likely lost a dearly loved cat to them this Summer. We see the coyotes but our dogs keep them off the property around the house.

Truly stellar feedback, thanks!

And I woke up this morning thinking about comfrey, an herb I used to drink as a tea but one I've never used medicinally in a poultice. I wouldn't have considered a comfrey poultice if you hadn't mentioned it.

I'll get some today and report back on his progress.

God Bless you and Henry!

Notes from the rooster recovery room:

- I went to the health food store this afternoon and bought dried comfrey. Fresh wasn't available and for a poultice dried is better than a tincture. I made a super strong tea with it, no straining, and then added a small amount of chia seeds to hold it together. This wasn't necessary, and I won't do it again, but I got the idea from a blog written by a woman who fractured her ankle while running on a nudist beach in Australia. She said something about three naked men, and I was like, "Well, then, chia seeds it is!"

- Some people use flour to hold it together, but since nakedness gives people authority, I went with the chia seeds. Others say just the comfrey is all you need. I'm going with that for round two.

- The comfrey was $20/pound. I brought home a large bag for a couple of dollars, so don't let the per pound price scare you. Comfrey doesn't weigh much.

- I also bought unbleached cheese cloth and a BPA and PVC-free plastic wrap. I never ever buy plastic wrap. It's my arch enemy number two. Number one is tape guns.

- Google educated me on how to make a proper poultice. Very pretty photos. The poultice I ended up making is in good company with the chicken sling I made. Definitely not Pinterest worthy contraptions, but 'not pretty' doesn't mean not effective.

- Do four negatives negate the whole sentence?

- I cut six wide strips of cheese cloth, one set for each of the two sores on Henry's lame leg. One piece was a pouch for a glob of the thick tea, the second piece was soaked in the tea and wrapped around the pouch, and the third was a tie to help hold the plastic wrap secure.

- The cheesecloth quite willingly clung to itself. The plastic wrap made me homicidal. And the cheesecloth ties reversed some of the mania. Nothing was tight. I wrapped his entire leg with comfrey soaked cheesecloth but made sure the elbow could bend.

- And I did this while Henry was hanging high from the chicken sling. His lame leg hung completely limp from the hip all the way down. But somehow his normally curled toes straightened out. I don't think his body did this for him; I think gravity is responsible, so my flicker of hope was dashed.

- He's sleeping now, and the poultice has been on his leg for a few hours. Since it's been getting cold at night, and he's basically half a rooster with so many feathers sheared off, I'm going to remove it for the night and do another application in the morning. Please let me know what you think about this.

- I've discovered the meaning of an odd symbol on the portable heater: thermostat. Duh. It's helping me keep Henry's room warm at night, without having to run it constantly. And I use the Brinsea chick warmer on its side around the clock. I've noticed he'll adjust himself closer to keep warm.

- A single fly got in the room, and I nearly killed myself killing it. Flies = gross stuff in open wounds, so fly no more.

More updates from Henry's recovery room tomorrow. Thank you for the wonderful feedback and the eyeballs, folks!

Last edited:
P.S. The high heat from Henry's lame leg was keeping the poultice super warm. I discovered this just after I snipped the dastardly plastic wrap and cheesecloth for removal. It was positively radiating heat. So the damp poultice wouldn't have made him feel cold overnight. I'll apply a new one in the morning.

Last edited:
I also would like to commend you on your choices and efforts put in to helping Henry along his road to recovery. I also agree that as long as he is continuing to fight through this ordeal, there is nothing wrong with you trying your best to help him along. With any means you deem necessary. I lived with chronic pain caused by a neck injury for 10 years and by the grace of God I am no longer suffering today. We all have good and bad days, even days we feel like giving up, but we push forward. Not being defeated in those rough days, brings better days and it's rewards. Keep pressing forward. I truly believe that if the day comes where the fight is no longer bareable Henry will let you know. I have watched humans and animals alike go through tremendous obstacles and come out the other side victorious. I've also seen the flip side to that. And when the fight is over, either by overcoming, or moving on to the next journey it is usually obvious as to the route it's going. What I'm trying to say is, you are with Henry day in and day out as you both fight thru this and in your heart you will know. Just don't let your bad days keep you from the possibility of the brighter days to come. God bless you both. We are all here standing with you and ready to offer any support needed to get you both thru. Keep up the great work you're doing for Henry.

I had an uneasy day yesterday, wondering if I'm unfairly prolonging Henry's life.

He was vivacious and totally present and engaged from the neck up, but everywhere else he was a wounded rooster whose body hadn't decided if it has the stamina and strength to guide him toward recovery.

The heat lessened in his lame leg. Not significantly but noticeably. And the large reddish pink bed sores have dulled in color. I have Hen Pen Jam and a comfrey poultice to thank for this.

But yesterday morning when I walked into Henry's room, I found a huge mounded hunch to the left of his puncture wound and just about cried.

While I slung the bird in his sling and wrapped the lame leg in a fresh poultice, I prepared myself for a very difficult decision. I honestly feel I can quickly and humanely put him down myself, but I wanted to give him one more day so I could observe his wounds carefully and try to determine if the swollen hunch was something I could attempt to lance and address myself.

The concern was drainage dripping down into the puncture. The bigger concern was turning my darling rooster into a science experiment.

So I decided to trim off a section of feathers on the opposite side of his spine, directly across from the hunch, so I could examine his anatomy and see what that area is supposed to look like when it isn't wounded.

That side seemed bonier and a lot smaller. So this was it, then. My dear Henry was worsening and now I had a funeral procession to plan down the hillside to the burial site.

He seemed comfortable, though, and the poultice was doing well, so I did some chores and a few hours later researched chicken pus and thought to myself, "But it's so huge. There's no way I can safely get in there."

Evening rolled around, and I sat down with Henry and watched an episode of Madam Secretary on Netflix (volume on low), while the heater warmed his room. When I looked over at Henry, I saw him shift his body weight as he turned his head to groom some feathers, and suddenly the hunch moved to his good side. The bony, non-hunched shoulder on the right side, his good side, was now rounded and protruding, and I wondered what the heck was going on with my bird.

I crawled forward on my hands and knees and slid a banana in front of him to get his attention. As he leaned forward to beak it, I moved it a few feathers to the left and just like that the hunch returned to the left side, the doomed rooster side where a pus volcano was supposedly brewing.

And then it dawned on me: By golly that's a mounded shoulder blade from his wing contraption!

The reason I couldn't see it before was his feathers. I was prepping Henry for a photo shoot the other day and clearcut some feathers that sometimes drooped into his wound zone when he turned his head. The next morning, yesterday morning that is, I had forgotten about the newly widened wound zone and thought for sure Henry was once again about to meet his maker.

And now it's a new day.

Henry ate breakfast with his flock today. They all flooded in between my legs and were just everywhere. They stepped inside my cereal bowl and knocked over my tea, and boy was I annoyed. But Henry was positively delighted, and side by side by side the flock pecked a banana and ate mustard greens and organic pellets, and my boy looked better than he has since this whole coyote attack ordeal began.

I think this is day nine, but I'm not sure.

Henry lives, for now anyway. Someone said pain can actually work to his favor, and I agree. I give him an arnica pellet at bedtime every night, and some Rescue Remedy before I apply honey to his wounds. But his pain reaction feeds into his alertness and sense of presence, and I honestly feel it's benefiting him.

Remember the news story some years back about a woman whose parachute didn't open and she crashed down to earth and landed on a mound of fire ants? The hundreds of bites all over her body triggered a flood of adrenalin or some other chemical, and it literally saved her life.

Anyway, I have a rooster to sling and a leg to wrap in a comfrey poultice, so I'd best get going. I wanted to say that I intend to use The Arnica Rub on his leg, as suggested in a previous comment, but for now I feel comfrey is needed for this stage of his healing. But anyone would do well to keep that rub in their emergency medical supplies kit.

Cheerios and thanks for reading, folks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom