Rooster room?

Paddlefoot

Songster
Feb 20, 2020
Has anyone ever set up a rooster room in their coop with the single focus of managing when they crow? Where I am, we can technically have roosters as long as they follow the city noise ordinance and our sweet little silkie just found his voice. I read somewhere that they won’t crow if they can’t extend their neck all the way, which seems to be true because we’re currently putting him to bed in a structure where he can walk around, but not extend all the way and he doesn’t crow at all until we let him out. He’s only 16 weeks old, so I don’t know how much more he’ll grow and it makes this kind of room a bit of a guessing game on size. Any thoughts or suggestions? Line of sight to the girls? Set it up like a nesting box of sorts?

The no crow collars are cruel, and inhumane. You'll hear some bad stories from those that have used them. The only sure remedy is to let it crow. IF someone complains that it violates ordinances, code enforcement, or law enforcement can come with a meter, and check noise levels. IF the crowing violates the noise level, you will have to re-home it.

I worry far less about decibel levels than time of day. If we can curb night time/crack o dawn crowing through just having him in his own room to wander and walk until it won’t wake everyone up, I think it’s no big deal. People are LOUD (lawn care, machines, music, etc...) during the day and I’d certainly challenge the notion that he’s louder when most people are up and active.

Problem with a 'rooster room' is that they need ventilation then the sounds can get out.
Many have tried it, never seen much success.
I suppose you could try putting him in a box where he can't stand up,
but that's kinda cruel too, IMO. Plus I've seen my cock crow while sitting, so ceiling would have to be pretty darn low.

Gotcha, I was hoping it would be more like a nighttime thing where he could wander in his slightly shorter room and see out, but not extend all they way and that would work. I don’t want him crouched all the time, that’s really not fair. I’m probably going to have to rehome him, then. I don’t care so much about daytime noise, but waking up the neighborhood won’t work. Last time I trust hatchery sexing.

This is my first flock, so many MANY lessons are being learned in spite of the huge amount of research we did prior to getting them. Our roo is such a sweetheart and we’ve been hopeful there was a solution so we could try to keep him, but I don’t want him to suffer because he’s a doll. Our options here are not fair for him at best. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom