Rooster Roundup

Clucky McCluckerson

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2022
Clay, KY
Y'all! Why does my rooster jeep rounding up all my hens? It's early in the morning, middle of the day, early afternoon... He keeps putting then all in the coop then going in after them. He doesn't do it at night when we go to bed, but has started doing it all throughout the day. I just don't understand.

Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice.

I love the fact that my rooster(s) take care of the job of rounding up latestayers at night and getting the girls inside when hawks or other hazards are spotted. It's such a cool display of their natural instincts and flock dynamics. :)

If he's not engaging in bullying behavior as part of this roundup then I'd guess that he's spotting predators and getting his flock to safety.

There was nothing near when I went out this morning. I was checking on them and he just started going crazy. He usually makes a different sound if there's a predator, but maybe his eyesight and senses are better than mine.
I had a duck start circling honking like crazy every day for three days straight, but I never saw anything when I went out and checked. Then three days later around 5pm (still very much so daylight where we were) I was sitting out at the bonfire and she started honking and circling (I say honking because she went from a duck quack to the neighbors asking if we bought a goose). I stood up and turned around not 25 ft away was a the biggest raccoon I've seen. He must have been hiding up in the trees before when I checked the woods.

Back
Top Bottom