Rooster Safety

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eryan7, Aug 12, 2014.

1. eryan7

eryan7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    I am new to keeping chickens especially Roosters. We unexpectedly have a rooster with 6 hens. They are all 5 months old and were raised together. Recently our rooster jumped up and scratched my little one (almost 3 years old) on the arm and he also scratched my oldest, 4 1/2 years old. Although he hasn't shown any aggression to my husband or me. I can only assume the rooster has come into the age where he is now "protecting" the girls. The unfortunate thing is that my boys were not doing anything really but just standing there with apples in their hands from our tree. (We crush them for the chickens to eat) Could he have attacked them because they had food in their hands? I suspect it is because my children are still little. My husband said that the rooster seemed to be acting irritated that the boys were around. We keep the kids away from the rooster at this point but we are in the process of putting up a chicken wire fence for a larger free ranging area than just the run. My question is, if the rooster is behind this fence, would we still need to be concerned for out children's safety? I know the chickens can fly but I wasn't sure if the rooster would actually fly over to "attack".

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Hi, Eryan! Welcome to BYC!

There is NO REASON to keep that rooster. There are many, many gentle roosters that will defend their girls to the death, but will not be aggressive to people. Most of these roosters, the gentle ones, will be killed because they are not wanted. Your rooster can cause serious injury to your children, what if it goes for the face?

That rooster will pass that bad attitude on to his offspring, so you will never be able to trust them.

If you are close to me, I will give you a nice rooster. If you are not close, I'm sure there are plenty available in your area.

Give yours away or put him in the pot. It's just not worth it

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Also, if you *do* go the re-home route, please be sure to do so with FULL disclosure as to why you are ridding yourself of this pest.
    Since this rooster was unplanned anyway, it doesn't sound like you went into this with the intention of breeding so you don't *need* a rooster anyway - I'd just keep a nice little hen flock and enjoy your girls.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  4. eryan7

Jun 10, 2014
    Thanks for the great advice. We have someone interested in taking him and I did tell them that he had attacked my children. For some reason, they didn't seem too concerned. I don't think they have children though so maybe the are comfortable with it I guess.

5. eryan7

Jun 10, 2014
    I am in PA so a little far from AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by