Rooster Shank growths

chickenMamee

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Hernando, MS
I have a large Orpington rooster that’s 6 years old. He’s got a crack in the very top of his shanks where his skin meets his shank. They are like split open. I can’t figure out why they keep splitting. He also has grape like growths above his skanks. Is this normal? His scales on his legs are large and he’s treated with Ivermectin as is the entire flock. He shouldn’t have leg mites because of his treatments. I’m at a loss as to why his skin keeps splitting. He’s in pain and I’m not sure how to help.

Please post some photos - Thank you!

Should be SLM because of his treatments(?) - what dose of Ivermectin are you giving and how often?

What do you feed including treats?

I treated the entire flock with Ivermectin and then sprayed coop with ESP. This year we have a mite problem early Spring. I feed Nutrena Healthy Hen or all flock. It depends on what’s available at feed store.
I gave him three Tylan 200 shots every other day. ( It made him feel bad so I only gave the every other day. )
He’s six years old, a buff Orpington that’s been with us since day old.
He’s stretching one leg out in front further now as he walks. He’s been in a smaller coop over the last two months with one hen as companion. I’ve had multiple issues with him over the years such as chronic ear infections. I hate to say it but I’ve been thinking of culling him due to health issues. But, i just keep trying different things with him.

I treated the entire flock with Ivermectin and then sprayed coop with ESP. This year we have a mite problem early Spring. I feed Nutrena Healthy Hen or all flock. It depends on what’s available at feed store.
I gave him three Tylan 200 shots every other day. ( It made him feel bad so I only gave the every other day. )
He’s stretching one leg out in front further now as he walks. He’s been in a smaller coop over the last two months with one hen as companion. I’ve had multiple issues with him over the years such as chronic ear infections. I hate to say it but I’ve been thinking of culling him due to health issues. But, i just keep trying different things with him.
P.S. Last Ivermectin treatment was early March.

He’s stretching one leg out in front further now as he walks.

I’ve had multiple issues with him over the years such as chronic ear infections. I hate to say it but I’ve been thinking of culling him due to health issues. But, i just keep trying different things with him.
He’s got a crack in the very top of his shanks where his skin meets his shank. They are like split open.
Photos?!
Culling might be a good option for you, depends on your goals. If he's continually sick, then something to consider.

Ivermectin Pour On Dose is .09ml per pound of weight applied at the base of the neck coming into contact with the skin. Repeat in 10 days.

Injectable Tylan200 can be given orally since it should be given 3 times a day for 5 days in row. Injecting that many times can cause injection sight necrosis.

Not sure what's going on with the legs. A couple of common causes of chronic ear infections are respiratory disease and mite infestation.
Please post some photos - Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom