Rooster showed up and we’re clueless!!!

Hi, welcome to BYC. If you don't plan to become a chicken "tender," your best bet might be to call Animal Control, they would know what to do with him. They should be able to safely house him until he is adopted by responsible caretakers. Good luck! And if you do decide to tend chickens, make yourself at home here, this is the learning place! :frow

Hi forum, I joined this group because my husband and I have been adopted by this rooster? We are in Louisiana where cockfighting is still legal, I think because I see lots of A-frame huts around. This rooster showed up under our oak tree and just stands there and picks around and doesn’t really crow but kind of growls in the morning. He’s been in the same area for over 2 weeks. We have been giving it dry cat food and bird seeds and feel as though there are enough bugs around if that’s what they eat. If you can give me any information about this bird perhaps I can figure out where I can place him that he would be safe and have a nice life. Thank you all for any help you can offer.
He looks like a young cockerel i don't know about the cat food but he is probably getting enough with foraging to round out his diet

That’s a young stag probably 3-4 months old I feed mine scratch grains you can add cat food for added protein you could also build a 4x4 dome pen for him if you wanted to keep him hard telling what blood he’s out of but I’m sure his farm isn’t far from you.

Is he aggresive?
I myself would keep him
We would definitely keep him if we were not in the process of moving down to Mexico. We spend weeks away so in his case, it’s better if I rehome him where there’s other chickens for company. He’s not aggressive in fact, when my husband goes outside, the rooster comes towards him.

He looks like a young cockerel i don't know about the cat food but he is probably getting enough with foraging to round out his diet
Someone tonight told me to throw in scrap fruits and vegetables and even a boiled egg here in there. There’s tons of roaches that live under the oak leaves, he will get fat if he eats bugs.

Back
Top Bottom