Rooster showed up and we’re clueless!!!

Pics

Sweetbeee

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2020
Hi forum, I joined this group because my husband and I have been adopted by this rooster? We are in Louisiana where cockfighting is still legal, I think because I see lots of A-frame huts around. This rooster showed up under our oak tree and just stands there and picks around and doesn’t really crow but kind of growls in the morning. He’s been in the same area for over 2 weeks. We have been giving it dry cat food and bird seeds and feel as though there are enough bugs around if that’s what they eat. If you can give me any information about this bird perhaps I can figure out where I can place him that he would be safe and have a nice life. Thank you all for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• 16B91B0C-29BF-4166-BE64-ECE1C4B6B35B.jpeg
    16B91B0C-29BF-4166-BE64-ECE1C4B6B35B.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 117
  • CC0748B0-AEFF-4F65-8E6A-D2BBE5086600.jpeg
    CC0748B0-AEFF-4F65-8E6A-D2BBE5086600.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 109
I'm not sure what you mean? :confused: can you clarify?
There’s an awful lot of assumptions being thrown around this thread about people raising gamefowl. Just because someone owns gamefowl doesn’t mean they fight them. Lots of people own guns, knives, baseball bats but that doesn’t mean they harm people with them.
A Cochin is not a gamecock and I find it hard to believe someone that was illegally fighting birds also raised Cochins.

OH,
Maybe that's why they sold him to me? He would be useless to them, but my farm has hens as pets, and eggs. I'm glad I have him.
No you’re doubling down on the fact that they were doing something illegal. They sold you a Cochin and I’m saying if they were I highly doubt they would be wasting their time raising Cochins or any layer breed for that matter. Sounds more like a peddler that will just raise whatever to make $$$. It costs the same amount to feed roosters regardless of breed. Gamefowl are worth a lot more than a Cochin and not for fighting just in general.

I have a yard full of small pens housing roosters. I don’t do anything illegal but I do like roosters. My point is just because everyone thinks they know more than they do doesn’t make them right. The roosters must be kept separate and individual housing or on cords is the safest way to accomplish this.
It would be nice if people wouldn’t jump to conclusions when they drive by a place with pens, barrels etc in their yard.

So you bought a Cochin off Craigslist, showed up at their house and they just tossed out the fact oh yeah those birds in the back 40 are for gambling. Lol ok.
Either way merely owning them isn’t illegal and birds kept on cords with a barrel or A frame end up with more sq ft of space per bird than probably 99% of people on here where the chickens are kept in a tiny run/coop set up.

Maybe he was a family pet, they didn't want anymore. I surely wanted him though.
That farm has many other roosters (For fighting) but they didn't let me back to see what breeds they had..
Then you surely did report this farm to the authorities right?
I find it pretty unbelievable that someone would raise birds for fighting and then invite a stranger from CL out to their farm and inform them about their illegal activities.

Back
Top Bottom