Rooster showed up and we’re clueless!!!

Pics

Sweetbeee

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2020
Hi forum, I joined this group because my husband and I have been adopted by this rooster? We are in Louisiana where cockfighting is still legal, I think because I see lots of A-frame huts around. This rooster showed up under our oak tree and just stands there and picks around and doesn’t really crow but kind of growls in the morning. He’s been in the same area for over 2 weeks. We have been giving it dry cat food and bird seeds and feel as though there are enough bugs around if that’s what they eat. If you can give me any information about this bird perhaps I can figure out where I can place him that he would be safe and have a nice life. Thank you all for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• 16B91B0C-29BF-4166-BE64-ECE1C4B6B35B.jpeg
    16B91B0C-29BF-4166-BE64-ECE1C4B6B35B.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 117
  • CC0748B0-AEFF-4F65-8E6A-D2BBE5086600.jpeg
    CC0748B0-AEFF-4F65-8E6A-D2BBE5086600.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 109
Hi forum, I joined this group because my husband and I have been adopted by this rooster? We are in Louisiana where cockfighting is still legal, I think because I see lots of A-frame huts around. This rooster showed up under our oak tree and just stands there and picks around and doesn’t really crow but kind of growls in the morning. He’s been in the same area for over 2 weeks. We have been giving it dry cat food and bird seeds and feel as though there are enough bugs around if that’s what they eat. If you can give me any information about this bird perhaps I can figure out where I can place him that he would be safe and have a nice life. Thank you all for any help you can offer.
[/QUOTE
Is he aggressive?

For temporary housing, he could be kept in a dog crate or similar structure that is brought inside at night. You could let him out of it during the day, if you wanted. You can usually get pine shavings at a pet store as small rodent bedding in small bales to use for bedding in the temporary housing. A 2x4 in the dog crate could work as a roost. For food, roosters will do well with grower feed or all flock, also available at most pet stores. Chick starter is not the best but is better than non chicken food.

Last edited:
What a handsome lad! Do you have an outside shed that could be repurposed as a coop for him? If not, you can quickly, easily, cheaply put together a lean-to type shelter to protect him from the elements with a couple of sheets of zinc roofing to make two sides of a triangle with one side opened and another sheet over the top of the closed side to get him out of rain and wind. This makeshift lean-to will do until you can get him something more substantial or build a more solid structure to 'hang' this roofing material on. Is your property fenced in a way to keep out most predators? It would certainly be better than just out on the grass!

Back
Top Bottom