What in the world have I got…

MomaChe

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2023
Hi all, I’ve been having a time trying to figure out what kind of birds I have. I purchased them through TSC rather quickly—the person in front of me was buying up every last Easter Egger, and these were what were left. They were labeled something like Blue Beauty something-or-other and as female. So having been seeking 4 hens for my small property, I decided to go with it and see.

When they were small they looked just like California White chicks—yellow fuzzies with black spots. Three have dark grey legs/combs/wattles and one has yellow legs with pink/red comb/wattle. Now that they’re around 17 weeks, I’ve been leaning towards Splash Orpingtons because they’re the only chicken I can find that looks somewhat like mine. However, they could just be a barnyard mix. Also at various points I’ve thought I might have a rooster or 2 (larger comb/wattles than the rest but still no crowing). Any help much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1634.jpeg
    IMG_1634.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    901.9 KB · Views: 79
When they were small they looked just like California White chicks—yellow fuzzies with black spots. Three have dark grey legs/combs/wattles and one has yellow legs with pink/red comb/wattle. Now that they’re around 17 weeks, I’ve been leaning towards Splash Orpingtons because they’re the only chicken I can find that looks somewhat like mine. However, they could just be a barnyard mix.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

That looks more like paint (one copy of dominant white over black feathers) than splash to me.. and they've got some melanism (coming from svart Hona, Ayam Cemani, or Silkie maybe).. So they're likely one of the new hybrid crosses being sold by the hatcheries. Which hatchery does your TSC order from?

I agree they're not Orpington and they ARE pullets!

Smokey Pearl was the only one I could remember that's somewhat close to this off the top of my head..

https://hoovershatchery.com/smokeypearl.html

Hi all, I’ve been having a time trying to figure out what kind of birds I have. I purchased them through TSC rather quickly—the person in front of me was buying up every last Easter Egger, and these were what were left. They were labeled something like Blue Beauty something-or-other and as female. So having been seeking 4 hens for my small property, I decided to go with it and see.

When they were small they looked just like California White chicks—yellow fuzzies with black spots. Three have dark grey legs/combs/wattles and one has yellow legs with pink/red comb/wattle. Now that they’re around 17 weeks, I’ve been leaning towards Splash Orpingtons because they’re the only chicken I can find that looks somewhat like mine. However, they could just be a barnyard mix. Also at various points I’ve thought I might have a rooster or 2 (larger comb/wattles than the rest but still no crowing). Any help much appreciated!
I have the same kind of hen she lays big brown eggs. It’s some type of cross. Something pearl? Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• F53FEF92-4D4A-42BE-954C-4EF3086B7A5D.jpeg
    F53FEF92-4D4A-42BE-954C-4EF3086B7A5D.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 63
They're gorgeous!!! I haven't seen these before. I'm really curious what color eggs they will lay.

Not a mixed breed, per se, but a hatchery creation for sure. If you can figure out the hatchery your TSC ordered from, you can browse their catalog to find them. If you do find them, let us know, those are some pretty birds!

Good luck!
They lay big light brown eggs

I have the same kind of hen she lays big brown eggs. It’s some type of cross. Something pearl? Here is a picture of mine.
Yes 3 of mine look just like her with the dark legs and comb/wattles! I’ve been looking around, and it’s possible they could be Pearl Onyx??? The 1 that I have that has yellow legs with red comb/wattles could maybe be the Smokey Pearl?

This is fun!

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    907.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2036.jpeg
    IMG_2036.jpeg
    762 KB · Views: 51
Yes 3 of mine look just like her with the dark legs and comb/wattles! I’ve been looking around, and it’s possible they could be Pearl Onyx??? The 1 that I have that has yellow legs with red comb/wattles could maybe be the Smokey Pearl?

This is fun!
Whatever they are I want five. They look like cookies and cream if it was a chicken.😍

Back
Top Bottom