Leghorn or California white? Or maybe something else?

These are mine today at three weeks. Note how threadbare they look because they grow so quickly that they outgrow their feathering.
View attachment 3779042
Thank you for sharing a picture of your chicks. My chick definitely does not look like yours. Mine is 3 weeks this week, and she's not as chunky and is fully covered, aside from the normal patches where fluff came out and feathers is growing in but looks fully covered at first glance.

I will take a picture of her tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident she is a leghorn or still possibly a California white (the lack of any spots is what threw me off). I have Googled pictures of leghorns at 3 weeks and she looks almost identical.

These are mine today at three weeks. Note how threadbare they look because they grow so quickly that they outgrow their feathering.
View attachment 3779042
I'm a week late, but here she is at 4 weeks. I'm pretty convinced that she is a Leghorn, but I could be wrong. I don't believe she's a Cornish cross though.

Attachments

• 20240330_161150.jpg
    20240330_161150.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240330_161201.jpg
    20240330_161201.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
That's definitely not a CX but it also looks a little husky for a Leghorn. Maybe it IS a California White, emphasis on the white.
She was supposed to be a California white, but everything I had read said they all have atleast a couple black spots on them and very rarely does 1 chick not have any spots at all, but none of the other chicks had spots either.

I guess I didn't realize she was a bit husky for a leghorn. Compared to most of my other chicks she's slimmer.

I think she will be a mystery until she is grown and laying. I figure her egg color will be a big help in determining her breed or atleast narrowing it down. I'm just honestly relieved that she isn't a Cornish cross.

Every WL I owned have been slim bodied birds, lean and nearly breastless. I won't even cull them for people food when they "age out"; I run them through the plucker, do a rough gut (leaving the lungs and kidneys in) and quarter them for raw food for the doggos.

All my leghorns at this point are Brown Leghorns. They're still flighty and skittish but seem less so than the WLs.

These are my CX at 4 weeks. My wife hates that I call them "cankles" (look at the legs in the last pic- looks like CHF edema) or "toads" or "Chets" (after Wyatt's older brother in Weird Science when Kelly LeBrock turns him into a festering lump). She calls them BB's for Baby Broilers or "meat babies".
IMG_20240331_115137537_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240331_115144115_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240331_115155621_HDR.jpg

Not every California White gets black spots, especially at a young age. The black spots or kind of a leakage I'm not saying that the TSC/Hoovers hatchery system gets it correct every time, but I don't see any reason to believe this is anything other than Hoovers version of CW.

These were from TS aka Hoover Hatchery. I still am not sure what they are. I do know they are definitely not a Leghorn. They lay brown eggs. I'm not disappointed. Actually I'm very happy. I'm not a chicken snob like some can be. I don't breed them so SOP is not important to me.
They are pure white Plymouth rocks, I have one.

Every WL I owned have been slim bodied birds, lean and nearly breastless. I won't even cull them for people food when they "age out"; I run them through the plucker, do a rough gut (leaving the lungs and kidneys in) and quarter them for raw food for the doggos.

All my leghorns at this point are Brown Leghorns. They're still flighty and skittish but seem less so than the WLs.
I'm not sure if personality is a good way to determine a breed, but my chick isn't flighty and skittish so far. She seems to be brave (compared to my other chicks), very curious and I'd even say a leader because she is always the first to check out new stuff and try it out. Whatever she is, I do like her alot and is one of my favorites because of her personality.

I definitely see why you call them candles, I probably would too if I had cornish cross chicks.

Back
Top Bottom