Leghorn or California white? Or maybe something else?

I called my local TSC where I got the chicks, they say they haven't got any Cornish Cross at all this year, but they did offer to replace with another CW when they get more.

I would recommend separating her when she starts growing super large, but while she is about the size of the other chicks it will not hurt. However, Cornish Cross grow super fast and when your chick does that, then she can easily trample the others.
CX are usually fed meat bird starter and, later, meat bird feed with a higher protein percentage than chick starter/all flock feed only because they're supposed to be bulking up for an early date with the processing table. If you're not intent on processing it at 6-8 weeks and maybe put it off to 8-10 weeks, feed it whatever you're feeding the rest.
Thank y'all.

When I separate her from the rest when she gets to big, do I need to try and find another cornish cross for her? I know chickens are social and don't handle confinement well.

Thank y'all.

When I separate her from the rest when she gets to big, do I need to try and find another cornish cross for her? I know chickens are social and don't handle confinement well.
Monitor closely, but separation may not be necessary. Cornish cross tend to become less active once they become really large. Adding another Cornish cross to your flock would be adding the possibility of another early death.

If it is a CX, she'll take forever to begin to lay and the eggs aren't as big as you'd suppose. They are also not great layers- the one of mine that missed processing day and matured to the point of laying gave about three eggs a week. When I did end up processing her, she was massive. Her carcass went 9lbs 14oz and I used a turkey roasting pan to cook her.

I hope yours are just chunky California Whites.

Monitor closely, but separation may not be necessary. Cornish cross tend to become less active once they become really large. Adding another Cornish cross to your flock would be adding the possibility of another early death.
Thank you. I guess I just don't want her to get lonely.

If it is a CX, she'll take forever to begin to lay and the eggs aren't as big as you'd suppose. They are also not great layers- the one of mine that missed processing day and matured to the point of laying gave about three eggs a week. When I did end up processing her, she was massive. Her carcass went 9lbs 14oz and I used a turkey roasting pan to cook her.

Oh wow, that is a big bird.

Me too. I could really care less what breed she is, as long as she isn't a Cornish cross. I debated just giving her to a friend who buys CX to grow and butcher, but I'm holding out hope that maybe she is just chunky. I don't know CX eating habits, but my chick does eat pretty good, she don't spend all day at the feeder but when she does go to the feeder she eats a decent amount, a bit more then my buff orpington chicks (they are the biggest chicks out of all 9 in my brooder box), but I wouldn't think she was gorging herself on food. Not sure if that would make a difference if she is CX or not at this age.

Just wanted to give an update, since it has been about 2 weeks since I posted this. I am almost certain that she is not a Cornish cross and is actually a leghorn. She has been growing great, but not overly so, she is just slightly bigger then the blue plymouth rock that I got the same day as her, she is taller then, not chunkier. She is also feathered out more then the other chicks that is the same age, feathered out almost as well as the chicks that is a week older then her. So she is tall and feathered very well, that's why I don't think she's a Cornish cross, but I'm still going to continue watching closely for any dramatic weight gain, just to be on the safe side.

Just wanted to give an update, since it has been about 2 weeks since I posted this. I am almost certain that she is not a Cornish cross and is actually a leghorn. She has been growing great, but not overly so, she is just slightly bigger then the blue plymouth rock that I got the same day as her, she is taller then, not chunkier. She is also feathered out more then the other chicks that is the same age, feathered out almost as well as the chicks that is a week older then her. So she is tall and feathered very well, that's why I don't think she's a Cornish cross, but I'm still going to continue watching closely for any dramatic weight gain, just to be on the safe side.
These are mine today at three weeks. Note how threadbare they look because they grow so quickly that they outgrow their feathering.
IMG_20240322_135851454.jpg

Back
Top Bottom