Leghorn or California white? Or maybe something else?

There are good employees that generally care and there are also bad employees that couldn't care less in every store. Thats life. The closest tsc will not hire anyone that doesn't have livestock themselves to make sure their employees care and can help customers with their animals. This is what has been explained to me:
They cannot have multiple bins with a few birds in them, the bins must be condensed in the event of power loss. If the original labels are lost, you cannot make new ones to avoid liability. Only verbal. Any employee that can't tell the difference isn't supposed to be handling birds except for customers who refuse to wait a few minutes for the captains. (Imho, if someone can't identify the breeds the want as chicks, they shouldn't be buying chicks and they shouldn't complain if the birds aren't right)
Mixed bins must contain obviously different birds to avoid mix up. ( but you know as well as I do that many colors and breeds look like each other as days old.)
The only help they can offer is pasty butt care and coaxing weak chicks to drink (which is a daily task) boost water, deformed and sick chicks are taken to a hospital bin in the office to either rest and recover or die peacefully. Deformed birds require a licensed vet to fix to avoid liability. They are often left in the front bins so they get a chance that someone who knows what their doing to buy them instead of just dying. If you've ever worked retail, you know how busy it gets, now add the fact half of the customer base expects immediate attention and and needs help with things that weigh 100s of pounds, now throw in a few dozen babies to take care of. Amd customers who are condescending and abusive to the employees or know it alls. , i.e yesterday there was a bin of 'mixed straight run' ducks that were obviously blue Swedish and the employee working the chicks cage couldn't convince the lady who wanted to buy them that they weren't white pekins, lady was very condescending that shes had Pekin for years and knew more than the employee.
That is the first actually good Tractor Supply that I have ever heard about. Also, I know it's life that you have good and bad, but that doesn't mean anyone should let dying animals suffer without doing something.

These are CX chicks purchased 7 days ago, probably two days old when I got them. They're unmistakable as CXs with their round butts, heavy bodies, chunky thighs and thick legs. It'd help if you had a pic of your chick standing on its own but I don't think you have CXs.View attachment 3766827View attachment 3766828View attachment 3766829
Ignore the poo, she's not very lady like and wasn't impressed with having her picture taken 😂 but I hope these pictures are good enough. She really didn't like standing there for a few seconds to take them.

Attachments

• 20240308_113732.jpg
    20240308_113732.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240308_113736.jpg
    20240308_113736.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240308_113746.jpg
    20240308_113746.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240308_113749.jpg
    20240308_113749.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm going to also go for Cornish Cross. If your chick is a Cornish Cross, get prepared to butcher at six weeks because they have a multitude of frequent health issues, mostly due to their legs (their legs cannot support their weight at a certain age and may break or simply not be able to hold up).

Oops. Looking a little thick. I'm gonna guess CX.
That's what I was afraid of. I'm not at all ready to have to butcher any chickens.

Here's a couple more, pictures of her and a Blue Plymouth Rock that I got the same day. The woman working said that they were the same age, supposed to be the same age with the same hatch date. And ofcourse Cyndi just wasn't feeling more pictures again.

Attachments

• 20240308_132653.jpg
    20240308_132653.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240308_132625.jpg
    20240308_132625.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 5
I'm going to also go for Cornish Cross. If your chick is a Cornish Cross, get prepared to butcher at six weeks because they have a multitude of frequent health issues, mostly due to their legs (their legs cannot support their weight at a certain age and may break or simply not be able to hold up).
Yea, that's what I was dreading. I know logically it's for the best for her because cornish cross can't have a good quality of life, just I wasn't prepared to do it so early on into having chickens.

I have seen that people who have cornish cross, they have to keep them separate because they need different feed. Do I need to separate her and give her different feed or will it be ok to stay with the other chicks and eat what they eat?

Yea, that's what I was dreading. I know logically it's for the best for her because cornish cross can't have a good quality of life, just I wasn't prepared to do it so early on into having chickens.

I have seen that people who have cornish cross, they have to keep them separate because they need different feed. Do I need to separate her and give her different feed or will it be ok to stay with the other chicks and eat what they eat?
Different feed is not necessary, my Cornish Cross were never put on any different feed. There is feed specifically for broilers but I don't see why that is needed, just keep your chick on regular chicken feed. Plus, it is more expensive for broiler feed (at least where I am).

CX are usually fed meat bird starter and, later, meat bird feed with a higher protein percentage than chick starter/all flock feed only because they're supposed to be bulking up for an early date with the processing table. If you're not intent on processing it at 6-8 weeks and maybe put it off to 8-10 weeks, feed it whatever you're feeding the rest.

Back
Top Bottom