Rooster signs

khatar

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
I have a two 2 month old chicks that are half black ameraucana and half black frizzled cochin. One of the chicks is smooth feathered and the other is frizzled. The smooth feathered chick is showing signs of being a rooster. It is much larger than it's sister, so big I can't even fit my hand around him like I can do with his sister. He has an enormous red comb compared to his sister's which is small and yellow. His leg feathers are much larger than the other's and his beard has already come in. Hi sister's beard is only halfway in. The only doubts I have are that his hackles aren't pointed and his saddle feathers aren't hanging, Does this change over time?

The hackle feathers may show more over time. One of my Roos didn't show them until almost 4 months. It does sound like you have a Roo, but pics would definitely help.
smile.png

All right, I'll be sure to upload pictures
smile.png
sad.png
big_smile.png
wink.png
hmm.png
tongue.png
lol.png
roll.png
cool.png
lau.gif
gig.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif
frow.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
th.gif
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif
bow.gif
love.gif
pop.gif
wee.gif
caf.gif
idunno.gif
old.gif
clap.gif
duc.gif
hit.gif
ya.gif
hide.gif
hu.gif
smack.gif
woot.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif
thumbsup.gif
tongue2.gif
sickbyc.gif
yuckyuck.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry about that, just wanted to see what would happen.

Last edited:
I have 3 chicks, all different varieties. My Ameraucana is growing much larger than the Buff Orp and Barred Rock.
She also has a good fluffy beard. Should I be worried that She is a HE? I had sort of assumed that it was just her breed that was the difference.
Ugh... I can't have a HE. I live in a neighborhood!

The first noticeable thing is usually the comb, showing pinker & growing larger. That can start to show at 2-4 weeks. Then the little wattles beginning to emerge, looking like a teenaged boy's beard beginning to grow. Young roos often will have thicker hocks. The pointy saddle & hackle feathers can usually be seen at around 8-10 weeks. You can part the feathers in those places & look for them beginning to sprout. The spurs don't start to grow until after 6 months or more, you should know already if it's a roo.

The Americanas & EEs sometimes will keep you guessing longer, not able to tell for certain until 3-4 months. And I have a mixed-breed roo, part Americana, who is over a year old and still doesn't have pointy hackle or saddle feathers, probably never will.

Funny, it's my understanding that BOs are a much larger breed than Americaunas. If they're the same age, I'd like to see it. Interesting.

Since my thought to be roo is half ameraucana, he has a full beard already so no waddles visible, but you can definitely see his comb. And thanks for the tip about the hackles and saddles! Now I know it's definitely a roo. But since he's half cochin would he be bigger than my buff orpington. She hates my two chicks and is always looking for a chance to get them, kind of scary. I want to know if my roo will be big enough to take her over.

Back
Top Bottom