Rooster sitting on eggs?

Varabtbb

Chirping
Mar 7, 2023
I have 23 week old chickens. 4 hens and 1 rooster I believe. The last few days I noticed him sitting on eggs before we collect them. Why would he do that? Also he hasn’t crowed yet. Is that normal? I thought he was a girl but as they grew, he started to get a bigger waddle and comb than the rest. Can you tell me if he is a rooster and what kind of chicken?

The other thing is we have one white chicken that has always been smaller than the rest. The chickens have been laying for about 3 weeks now but the white one has only laid 2 eggs in 3 weeks. She’s always the last to get the treats, gets pushed aside and sometimes sits by herself. What could help her lay more eggs like the rest of them?

Thank you for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_7860.jpeg
    IMG_7860.jpeg
    767.8 KB · Views: 128
the white one has only laid 2 eggs in 3 weeks. She’s always the last to get the treats, gets pushed aside and sometimes sits by herself. What could help her lay more eggs like the rest of them?
You could give her some extra protein like scrambled eggs every other day keeping her separate for half an hour so she will be able to enjoy her meal in peace
And deworming her might also be helpful.

I think I see a white ear lobe. If she has a white earlobe she is likely at least part brown leghorn (not welsummer).

I think she’s mostly Welsummer, I mean her coloring is pretty much all that breed. Here’s a better picture of my Welsummer and also my brown leghorn.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 18
@Evadig The bird in the second picture is not a brown Leghorn but some kind of crested legbar.

Good gravy! She was supposed to be a Barnevelder when I got her, then someone told me she was a brown leghorn, and now you’re saying she’s a crested legbar 😲! I’m going to need to take her to the what breed is this thread.

Back
Top Bottom