Rooster souns like he is puffing out air????

calichicken

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 30, 2014
San Bernardino Mountains, Ca
Hi!
I have a bantam cochin rooster...6 weeks old that sounds like he is "puffing"out air at times, not consistantly ....sorry best way I can describe it. He is 6 weeks old and living inside the house in a brooder. He doesn't have any discharge, or runny nostrils and eating, drinking, pooping normally. Any thoughts as to why he may be doing this? Could it be the dust from the bedding irritating his respiratory system? The bag says softwood screened shavings. He has not been outside at all yet. I put some nutria-drench in his water today to give him a little vitamin boost, just in case. Any thoughts, experience or suggestions are very much appreciated! We are in love with our little guy and want the best for him :)

:frow

Do you have other chickens outside?
Are you still heating the brooder?

Can you possible upload a short video to youtube and link it here?

:frow

Do you have other chickens outside?
Are you still heating the brooder?

Can you possible upload a short video to youtube and link it here?
Hi! :frow
No...i just have my chicks.. all inside in brooders and yes still with a heat lamp. I will try to get a video but I have never uploaded one here before so may take a bit...LOL!

Last edited:
You can't upload a video straight here.
You would need to have a Youtube account and upload it there first.
Then copy and paste the link to it here..

What is the temp in your brooder.
They should not still be with added heat.
This may be your problem.

You can't upload a video straight here.
You would need to have a Youtube account and upload it there first.
Then copy and paste the link to it here..

What is the temp in your brooder.
They should not still be with added heat.
This may be your problem.
Oh no !
Ok... I have it just in the corner now so they can move under or away from it. They are still using it at night I noticed. During the day they move around the brooder the average temp in the brooder is our house temperature 67-70. I don't have a youtube account:(

Just the corner should be fine...but in my experience chicks of this age should not need any added heat.
Too much heat can cause all kinds of problems.
You should start reading about it.
I'll be right back with one link for you to start with.

Just the corner should be fine...but in my experience chicks of this age should not need any added heat.
Too much heat can cause all kinds of problems.
You should start reading about it.
I'll be right back with one link for you to start with.
That would be great! Thank you!!! I just did a quick search but didn't come up with much. Hee is the only one I noticed out of the 7 chicks we have. I just didn't want to remove the heat lamp yet if they were still snuggling under it off and on
http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/heat-exhaustion-in-chickens.html

Without seeing you chick I can't for sure say what it is doing but to me it sounds like he is panting.
Thanks! I will check it out. I did a quick search but didn't come up with much. He isn't breathing with hi beak open, it literally just sounds like a puff of air coming out....almost like a person sighing?

Is this the same chick that you recently posted about with the curly toes?
He may just have come from a not so healthy egg?

Is this the same chick that you recently posted about with the curly toes?
He may just have come from a not so healthy egg?
Yes he Is! And I have had him on my belly to see if I could video him...and of course now he is not doing it! Awww...we will be so sad if he doesn't grow up healthy! He is the sweetest boy and we have them for pets:love

Back
Top Bottom