Rooster spur

dnoftz

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
I have a Americana Rooster and he has been neglected. His spurs are almost 3" long and I think they need to be ether trimmed or taken off. I have seen 2 ways of doing this. One is a Dremal with a wood cu ting bit and cut it leaving 3/4" the other is to take a pair of pliers and gently grab the spur and rock it back and forth till it makes a pop sound. I watched a video on both and the pliers looked to have caused the rooster the lest amount of pain when done but I am new to this so What is your suggestions?

Best way is to take a pair of pliers and squeeze firmly while holding the leg and twisting it back and forth, they'll come off really easy, just make sure the other birds don't peck the areas, might be best to separate for a few days

x2 two on the husking of the spurs, dab it with a bit of blukote, iodine or cornstarch to stop the small amount of bleeding. I squeeze at the base of the spur for about 8-10 seconds then a press in and twist. Off it comes. Good Luck

Last edited:
I use the Dremel. As long as you don’t get into the quick, it’s just like cutting your toenails.

There are lots of different ways to do it. They work. Pick one and go for it. If you don’t like it, pick a different one next time.

Back
Top Bottom