Rooster Spurs

gagirl02

Chirping
Aug 22, 2016
I have a bantam rooster that has spurs about 5" long. He can barely walk because they are so long. What is the most humane way to cut those bad boys back? I've seen all kinds of things from heating a hot potato to just cutting them down, but I don't want to hurt the rooster. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have not yet had to do it, but this is what I plan to do:

Using the hot potato method seems like it would be more painful. If you watch the video, it's obviously not needed in order to remove the keratin outer layer. But all that heat from the hot potato method will certainly transfer into the sensitive quick. That's just gotta hurt.

Last edited:
I didn't really like the potato method either. I will show the video to my husband and see if he will do that.
I would do the potato method. Seems to be the best to take them clean off, but then you have to deal with the sensitivity after.
Thank you. I didn't really like the potato method and was hoping for something better.

I have not yet had to do it, but this is what I plan to do:

Using the hot potato method seems like it would be more painful. If you watch the video, it's obviously not needed in order to remove the keratin outer layer. But all that heat will certainly transfer into the sensitive quick. That's just gotta hurt.

This certainly doesn't look as painful as the potato method. I'll see if my husband will do this. Thanks

Looked like he still had spurs in that video to me...I don't care what he pulled off...there was still pointed spurs on that leg.

Of course!
This method is used to maintain and shorten overly long spurs.
The OP asked how to humanely shorten the spurs. This will do the trick.
She could also pin him down and take a pair of plier type dog nail cutters to him and lop them off to 1/4" length but he'll bleed and I'd put money on it that would hurt like heck!
Incidentally, the twist method could be repeated quarterly to continue to shorten the spurs to a more reasonable length.

You can use a dremel with a cut off wheel. The heat cauterizes as it cuts. Only takes a few seconds and they’re left with blunt spurs that won’t have to be done again for awhile.

A hacksaw blade that has sawed into a bar of soap is what you need. Have a helper hold the rooster while you saw off the bottom spur about 3/4 inch from the shank. The helper rotates the rooster in his arm and then you have a go at the other lower spur. The soap imbedded in the hacksaw teeth clogs up and stops any bleeding if you cut too deep or close to the quick or shank. You do not need the whole hacksaw just the blade or even 1/2 of a blade.

Back
Top Bottom