Rooster spurs

Blueeyesliz

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
Wondering what’s the best to get rid or spurs do they regrow? What’s the least painful way? Or just file them, I have a beautiful rooster but now he got the girls bare back I ordered saddle aprons and hope this will be ok for them also,
What’s best to put on chicken bared back to heal?

The bare backs will remain bare until they molt. Bare backs bother people more than they bother chickens, and some hens are prone to them, some hens have stronger feathers. I tried the aprons, my girls hated them, and loved the rooster, so I quit worrying about it.

Some people clip the spurs or file the spurs down, and some pop them off. They may bleed a tiny bit, but regardless which way you do it, they do grow back.

Mrs K

Wondering what’s the best to get rid or spurs do they regrow? What’s the least painful way? Or just file them, I have a beautiful rooster but now he got the girls bare back I ordered saddle aprons and hope this will be ok for them also,
What’s best to put on chicken bared back to heal?
Some people just twist and pop the spur off, ive seen that being very common. Don’t be surprised if you see a little bleeding but if done right he will be fine. You can file the Spurs down if you want. The bare backs just stay until they molt and grow feathers back. My hens hated the saddles and tried to run away from it, so I just stopped the saddles. As long as your rooster isn’t actually hurting them it should be fine

You can trim very long spurs with a large pet nail trimmer, which may be really difficult, or with a dremel. It's best to have one person holding the bird, and the other doing the spurs. With a trimmer, it better be the stronger person doing the trimming! Those spurs are HARD!
I've never done the twisting thing myself, so no opinion about that.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom