Rooster started humping my TV remote.😱

Pics
He is very pretty, i would get attached and never give him up. Especially after hatching!!! I have a coop and run in my hallway, an oversized bunny hutch with removable trays. Once i finish sewing, they will spend more time in the family room.. but honestly, all they end up doing is piling up in the dog bed and falling asleep! Clearly they feel very safe and comfortable 😂

He is very pretty, i would get attached and never give him up. Especially after hatching!!! I have a coop and run in my hallway, an oversized bunny hutch with removable trays. Once i finish sewing, they will spend more time in the family room.. but honestly, all they end up doing is piling up in the dog bed and falling asleep! Clearly they feel very safe and comfortable 😂
Yep, this one has taken ownership of both of the cat beds. sometimes my bed or me. LOL

Attachments

• Resized_20200930_162533.jpeg
    Resized_20200930_162533.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Resized_20201001_184900.jpeg
    Resized_20201001_184900.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200915_185222.jpg
    20200915_185222.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200929_183046.jpg
    20200929_183046.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 13
Yep, this one has taken ownership of both of the cat beds. sometimes my bed or me. LOL
Omgggg too adorable.. i have one that was my favorite as a chick, and i have had parrots as pets, so i handled her like a parrot.. and whenever i open that cage up, she is immediately on my arm, or head, or shoulder. I was able to potty train her a bit... she (and the other D'uccle) do not poop on anything fabric.. i think they think its nesting areas.

I may have shown these to you before.. my 2 D'uccles, 2 silkies, and just got my last dream chickens, bantam cochins! A blue frizzle and a splash.. 🥰
20201015_165417.jpg
20201118_173227.jpg

Omgggg too adorable.. i have one that was my favorite as a chick, and i have had parrots as pets, so i handled her like a parrot.. and whenever i open that cage up, she is immediately on my arm, or head, or shoulder. I was able to potty train her a bit... she (and the other D'uccle) do not poop on anything fabric.. i think they think its nesting areas.

I may have shown these to you before.. my 2 D'uccles, 2 silkies, and just got my last dream chickens, bantam cochins! A blue frizzle and a splash.. 🥰
View attachment 2416595View attachment 2416597
ADORABLE!

@Hei 20 (be warned this is long)
I read the thread and just... wow. Some people despise that you own an indoor chicken. But they seem to forget that chickens are not just clones, they have so many beautiful unique personalities. Heck, there might be a chicken in this world that sleeps with his feet in water or a hen that meows but that does not mean that they are suffering.

Pampered chickens are very different from not so pampered chickens. For example, my baby boy, Falcon, had an anxiety attack when I did not let him out of the coop one morning. One of my relatives let them out that day. He jumped onto my shoulder immediately when I came home 9 hours later and just let me hug him for 10 minutes. I picked up one of his crazy babies and he just shut down in pure fear. The guy just wants he hen and bugs, not the food provider touching him. A perfect "natural" chicken. Humans made chickens, they are not natural. 🙄 I mean I get the natural behavior care when it is damaging to the creature or if it alters the behaviors of an undomesticated animal.

Also, talking about viruses and sickness I kiss my chickens on their heads, sometimes the beak every day, and never sanitize my lips after. I'm still alive. 🤪 Bacteria are strange little "bugs" but a chicken living in your house is not going to randomly give you the black death. Unless of course, if you got your chicken from a horrible breeder that let them bask in their own feces, but you didn't. Also, you are safer from sickness than me because my chickens live outside and your chicken doesn't eat wild bugs, amphibians, and small rodents.

Some people have been telling you to also bring him to a farm where he can live like a man but he is too pampered. Giving him a sudden home change will cause him to be mauled by the hens or other rooster, he will not eat well because he is either being chased away by the other chickens or too stressed out to eat, and he is not knowledgable of predators. If this were to happen you would need to be careful. Also, farm animals have higher death rates than house pets, one hawk or skunk and your best friend is dead forever... 😰

Chickens will hump. Parrots even though well taken care of will humps their owner's hands. It does not mean that he is suffering. He looks to have that pampered fat and sleek feathers. He looks so dang happy.

I do have some recommendations though-
I do recommend that you do get a bucket of dirt or chinchilla dust for your chicken to bath in. They need dust baths and not water. It messes with their oils.

He needs enrichment. Clear up your kitchen floor and put a big dish in the middle, scatter some mealworms and dirt in it. Not too much because they are fatty. Or try other things. Get creative! Hang a cabbage leaf on your wall from a string, like a pinata.

He will need constant access to a variety of gravel and dirt pieces because chickens use these in their digestive tracks to break down food.

Where does he sleep? If he doesn't have a perch you might want to give him one.

Make sure to give him a walk on a chicken harness when you can or he might get joint pain.

Potty train him if you can. Diapers are not the best choice for chickens because they poop a lot.

And last, the biggest thing of all. He needs a friend. Whether or not if it is a hen or a roo. Make sure to always quartine new chickens for at least 2 weeks, 30-60 days if possible though. Wash your hands after touching the chicken. You can either get a roo as a buddy and deal with double the crowing but also take a roo away from "freezer camp" or you can get a hen and deal with poop covered eggs from the diapers. I have seen some people that own 2 chickens, one hen and one roo, and the hen is not mistreated and mangy. His personality seems to fit the bill.

Best Wishes!

View attachment 2416595View attachment 2416597
Awesomeness 🥰🥰🥰

My 2 cents worth, because well, why not??

The Rooster has a loving human that takes care of it. He is not in danger of becoming a fighter or a bait bird. He isn't going to get eaten. He isn't going to end up in a small cage filled with his own feces for the rest of his life. The neighbors don't care. She is being sanitary about him, he wears a diaper.

So, with that having been said, why would anyone think the rooster is depressed? In all the pictures he looks happy happy healthy to me!!

I have too many roosters that I'm desperately trying to rehome, and I worry about how each one will be, after they leave here.

This guy has it made right now. I say unless he is actually exhibiting signs of depression or illness due to the lack of fellow chicken friends to let him be. I've seen all sorts of YouTube videos of people that own 1 pet rooster. They look happy and healthy to me!

Imho you deserve praise for being responsible for the egg you hatched. Until such time you cannot keep him for whatever reason, I would continue to care for him and love him like you are now. He is very lucky that you are his mom. There are thousands of unwanted roosters in this world. Thank you for not adding him to that list. 😍

Back
Top Bottom