Rooster Stopped Crowing and is Suddenly Aggressive

kangx2

Hatching
Nov 18, 2020
Hi, this is my first post.

I have a pet rooster (1yr old) who has recently stopped crowing all together and won't stop pecking me when I come close to him. He's usually a sweetheart who never pecks and loves cuddling (and crows like crazy).

This started when I took him away from some hens that I let him be with for a bit (5 minutes) because he was hurting them way too much. One of my hens almost had her eye pecked out, but luckily there was just a wound right next to her eye. Before that, he'd just roam around the backyard and the hens would be in cages.

Ever since then, he always pecks me. He won't full on attack me though. He also hates cuddles. I thought that this was all my fault for him not liking me anymore, but I noticed that he won't crow at all, which really concerns me.

1) He eats normally. Still loves food
2) Other than the described actions, he does his usual stuff.
3) His poop looks normal.
4) He's the only rooster I have. I have 5 hens that are near him, but he doesn't get to physically interact with them since he's really mean to them.

Does anyone know why he won't crow? I think the reason for the aggression part is obvious, but does anyone have an idea for how I can get him to be nicer? Thanks.

Welcome to BYC. I had so much rooster drama starting out (my first two years)and the only solution for me was to do a reset and allow the mature hens to raise juvenile cockerel. Since then I have had no further rooster drama. The hens put in a lot of work to correct the young guys idiosyncrasies. Raising a flock all of the same age only got me spurred between the eyes and flogged by what I felt was my first successful rooster. I am going into my 4th year and have 10 or so roosters and no over mating issues with the hens and am of no interest to them in any way.

As far as making him nicer there are a few articles in the learning center that might help you. In my case with my breeds they were of no use for me. Your mileage might vary. My heritage breed has a very specific breeding season to go bad in so we will see if I am still singing this song in March and April.

Last edited:
That's a good thing to consider... My rooster was never raised by a hen because his mom tried to kill him as a baby.

This is my 1st year and this is the only problem so far. I'll definitely look into those articles! My rooster's breed is supposedly for fighting, but maybe the articles might work! Thanks!

Hi, this is my first post.

I have a pet rooster (1yr old) who has recently stopped crowing all together and won't stop pecking me when I come close to him. He's usually a sweetheart who never pecks and loves cuddling (and crows like crazy).

This started when I took him away from some hens that I let him be with for a bit (5 minutes) because he was hurting them way too much. One of my hens almost had her eye pecked out, but luckily there was just a wound right next to her eye. Before that, he'd just roam around the backyard and the hens would be in cages.

Ever since then, he always pecks me. He won't full on attack me though. He also hates cuddles. I thought that this was all my fault for him not liking me anymore, but I noticed that he won't crow at all, which really concerns me.

1) He eats normally. Still loves food
2) Other than the described actions, he does his usual stuff.
3) His poop looks normal.
4) He's the only rooster I have. I have 5 hens that are near him, but he doesn't get to physically interact with them since he's really mean to them.

Does anyone know why he won't crow? I think the reason for the aggression part is obvious, but does anyone have an idea for how I can get him to be nicer? Thanks.

Attachments

• welcome2.jpg
    welcome2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 8
How old are the hens? How do you house them? What is their space like? Can you post pictures of it?
Can you record some video of your rooster's aggression towards the hens, upload it to YouTube then provide a link to it here? That would help a lot.
For me, it seems that he wants to be with a flock. It is a basal instinct for birds to be in flocks.

How old are the hens? How do you house them? What is their space like? Can you post pictures of it?
Can you record some video of your rooster's aggression towards the hens, upload it to YouTube then provide a link to it here? That would help a lot.
For me, it seems that he wants to be with a flock. It is a basal instinct for birds to be in flocks.

Hens: 1 year olds

Housing: 3 of them are in a 6ft by 4ft (base) cage that's 5 ft high. 2 of them have their own cages (6ft by 4ft base and 4xtheirheight). This is because they all try fighting to the death. They're gamebirds originally intended for cockfighting in the PH.

Space: Mainly empty, but they have nesting boxes and some planks to fly onto.

Rooster's Aggression toward Hens (What I've seen over time of introducing him to the hens every now and then): Pecks them on the back and head while they falter. He doesn't try mating with them, and eats their food without leaving any for them.

I also think he wants a flock. I really wish I could provide that for him.

Back
Top Bottom