Rooster struck at husband, now me. What can I do?

Pics
@Chicken Heel Every male that hatches gets referred to as son here.
It just keeps things so mucn lighter.
Makes your realization pretty darn sturdy in reverse around here.
Still true, id be tempted to cull if my roos acted like some of these young guys.;)
As someone who has two grandsons that are 18 and 19 years old and full of mischief, I understand completely. I also feel sure it is retribution for my youthful transgressions.

I didn't read every post, rather browsed through it all quickly so may have missed it.

Did anyone mention a good recipe for chicken soup? It really is the best therapy for ill behaved cockerels. To give that zest of spring go heavy on fresh rosemary. Mmm.

I used to have hatchery birds and propagate them. There's a lot to be said about how you handle yourself around animals. Then again once you've had standard bred birds an no troubles whatsoever with cockerels you come to the realization there is no need to "train" poorly behaved birds. Send them straight to the spa where their muscles are pampered with days of rest and then a simmering hot bath. Don't forget the rosemary.

It's about having experience, and that happens over time, and watching the flock, and deciding who needs to live in it, and who needs to go. And how to raise them, and behave out there.
As I've mentioned, our first rooster was a tiny attack bird, who stayed too long. After that, some very nice cockerels who grew into nice roosters, and once in a while a cockerel who had bad ideas, and we tried to 'retrain'. I'm not talking about a nip, but escalating badness, and not once did 'retraining' work! Bad boys might learn enough to respect one individual human, but will try out every other human, and it's just not worth it, and it's dangerous.
We haven't had to eliminate a jerk in years, but that's the plan here, and it makes for a much nicer flock, and chicken experience for everyone.
BTW, these human aggressive roosters weren't better as 'flock protectors', and never attacked our horses, foal, or calves. They were too busy stalking people!
Mary

So I have a rooster named Rudy. He is a silkie he’s supposed to be VERY docile and he attacks me all of the time! We are now arch enemies he’s small and doesn’t hurt at all but he really pisses me off. He is also very young.
I pick him up too I used to be super nice to him but he’s just a jerk. It’s his personality. My Sebright bantam rooster is a way better protector than him and he never goes at me ever and he’s also young.
I’ve tried being nice... now when he does it I just grab him by his tail feathers scoop him up and hold him for a while because I know he hates it. I read for them to respect you you have to peck them. I’ve pecked him on the head too I just tap him a little with my finger.
Honestly I used to be upset about it too but now he just pisses me off.
I agree with everyone maybe it’s just a phase but maybe he’s just a jerk. He thinks he’s protecting his girls it’s his nature you’re big and “scary” it’s just how it goes. I say if you have to choose choose your safety especially if he’s hurting you and give him some pecks.
Rudy’s always scared of me when I do that and then all of a sudden he flys at me like a bat out of hell when I’m putting down the water. So don’t worry you won’t hurt his feelings too bad.
I guess you can try to go the nice route too but I’ve read that doesn’t really work and they will just view you as weak. So I don’t know that’s just my opinion.
Here’s the demon giving me the stare down. I still would always protect him and never hurt him but I enjoy giving him a nice kick in the butt sometimes lol.
I did this too. Ours is an EE to that was supposed to be a pullet. He had been good for the most part. The other day I tried to pick up Angel (bantam frizzle Cochin), to put her on the roost near him. (She LOVES him). He flew at me, then started attacking me with his Spurs. Every time he came at me, I shoved him back with my foot, hard enough to send him 6-7 feet backwards. Wasn't working so I grabbed him. I carried him around, pecking him on the head, for about 30 minutes. (I may have slapped him on the top of the head too. i was mad. He turned a year old and decided he was 'the man' )
He did not act accordingly, so he got to spend a week by himself in the pen that is too become the brooder. Seems to have done the trick. He did not get to free range, mate, tidbit, or get treats, but he did get to see everyone else enjoying these things.
He is a new rooster now, but if he does it again, I have a friend looked up who would be happy to turn him in to soup.

I did this too. Ours is an EE to that was supposed to be a pullet. He had been good for the most part. The other day I tried to pick up Angel (bantam frizzle Cochin), to put her on the roost near him. (She LOVES him). He flew at me, then started attacking me with his Spurs. Every time he came at me, I shoved him back with my foot, hard enough to send him 6-7 feet backwards. Wasn't working so I grabbed him. I carried him around, pecking him on the head, for about 30 minutes. (I may have slapped him on the top of the head too. i was mad. He turned a year old and decided he was 'the man' )
He did not act accordingly, so he got to spend a week by himself in the pen that is too become the brooder. Seems to have done the trick. He did not get to free range, mate, tidbit, or get treats, but he did get to see everyone else enjoying these things.
He is a new rooster now, but if he does it again, I have a friend looked up who would be happy to turn him in to soup.
Hahaha “I may have slapped him” I def did that to mine too don’t worry!
I think you did what was best. I feel like some learn.
Rudy is def getting better yesterday I was outside around them sitting on the floor by the girls and him right next to them only a few inches. He was fine and I picked up the girls a bunch he was fine. Sometimes he gives me the look and I tell him don’t you even try it. So there’s hope especially if you catch them early. My other rooster is still top so he puts him in his place too.
He’s just so pretty... jerk that he is lol.

Attachments

• 72629BA5-D353-41E8-BD78-C44AF6A9090A.jpeg
    72629BA5-D353-41E8-BD78-C44AF6A9090A.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 659D6D44-0398-4630-A6D2-A6564C94D02E.jpeg
    659D6D44-0398-4630-A6D2-A6564C94D02E.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom