Rooster Survived - what I learned at the vet about balance problems

lagomorph500

In the Brooder
May 2, 2017
I am still learning how to use this so please bare with me....I had posted a thread a few months ago about our rooster who couldn't stand up. He was unable to eat or drink because he couldn't tip forward without falling over. After a lot of nursing (separated from flock, propped up with food and water in front of him, mites/lice treatment, VetRx in water for rattling when he breathed), he slowly started getting more strength. However we took him to a vet to make sure he didn't have anything contagious. The vet couldn't figure out why the rooster tipped FORWARD and saw no evidence of Mareks. He said that normally an animal with an inner ear infection will tip SIDEWAYS. I hope this information helps someone. We still don't know the cause of his illness, but our rooster is back with the flock. He has a permanent tremor and can no longer mount the hens or perch, but he is able to get around enough to eat, drink, and move freely. Very happy news!

Thanks for sharing.
While you were at the vet...did they give him anything?
shot/medicines?

He said he wouldn't give the rooster anything as long as the rooster continued to improve, which the rooster did. We had the rooster in a big dog crate where he couldn't move freely, but twice a day we took him out for "physical therapy" where he roamed freely and exercised his legs. We did this for about 3 days until he was able to move well enough on his own.

I have a 6 week old chick that is showing signs of imbalance. She sits but when she tries to walk she falls to the side. I have 15 chicks that came from McMurray and were all vaccinated for Mareks and cocidiosis. I brought her in and have her in a small dog crate. What else can I do?

I have a 6 week old chick that is showing signs of imbalance. She sits but when she tries to walk she falls to the side. I have 15 chicks that came from McMurray and were all vaccinated for Mareks and cocidiosis. I brought her in and have her in a small dog crate. What else can I do?
The cocci vaccine will not prevent them from getting it.
You may want to keep a close eye on your flock for other signs of Cocci too.
Is this "sick" one eating well?

Try giving your chick PolyVisol without iron or Poultry Nutri Drench or Vitamin E (400UI) along with bit of Selenium (25mcg)....it could possible be a vitamin deficiency. Mix some boiled egg yolk with it's chick feed, and separate from the rest so it don't get trampled. If possible separate with a piece of wire so it won't be isolated from the rest, or as you're doing in a small crate, although you'll have to reintroduce later. Keep it warm, hope all goes well.

Try giving your chick PolyVisol without iron or Poultry Nutri Drench or Vitamin E (400UI) along with bit of Selenium (25mcg)....it could possible be a vitamin deficiency. Mix some boiled egg yolk with it's chick feed, and separate from the rest so it don't get trampled. If possible separate with a piece of wire so it won't be isolated from the rest, or as you're doing in a small crate, although you'll have to reintroduce later. Keep it warm, hope all goes well.
I have been giving all the chicks boiled egg every day for the last several weeks. And I'm using electrolyte/vitamin powder in their water. Wouldn't all chicks be showing the same symptoms if it were a vitamin definciency? I also put a fan out there in case it's too hot. She still won't get up this morning.

Back
Top Bottom